Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

^^^^HI NEW MEMBER HERE^^^^

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi all! I am new to this group! I just found it and glad I have. I am the proud mama of a 5 1/2 yr old. He is such a joy. He has been diagnosed with sensory processding disorder in 2010 and due to his communication being not where a  5 year old is he was recently diagnosed with childhood apraxia ( though we are having a bit controvery with the speech therapists believing that he actually has this because he does not necessarily drool, strain, or grope) though I do see him grope sometimes depending on the words that he is trying to say. He attends a special ed pre school through our local school system. It has made a TON of difference. He has become more social, saying more but not as much as we would like. His receptive is 100%, its just he has a hard time with his expressive language. He will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. I am excited to see him flourish in life and not be limited to due to his "special needs"

Sorry for rambling but are there any moms in here who have a child who is much older now who dealt with/ or is dealing with sensory processing disorder??? 

Hope to meet some other mamas!!!

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Welcome, it's great that he is in school. Mine is in specialized Preschool program at our local elementary school aswell. He also will be starting kindergarten in the fall. He so far has been diagnosed with social anxiety and has ocd traits. Getting him a psychological evaluation for possibility of aspergers. He is on meds but we have to go back to Dr on Monday to get them adjusted. He is in overload mode. My oldest has asd. My 6 year old has social anxiety aswell. And so far my 21 month old is physically on mark just not talking. It sounds like you are doing s pretty good job. Keep it up. Glad to meet you and have you in this awesome group. Have a great week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sayres
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Welcome to the group. My ds is younger 4.5 but he has oral motor apraxia (a long with other dxs).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

welcome , glad you are here , lots of support here

CBMama06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the welcome.. It sounds like you have a busy schedule as I do.. I hope things work out on your end with your son with the eval.. Nice to meet you! Enjoy your weekend  :)

Quoting myfirstborn04:

Welcome, it's great that he is in school. Mine is in specialized Preschool program at our local elementary school aswell. He also will be starting kindergarten in the fall. He so far has been diagnosed with social anxiety and has ocd traits. Getting him a psychological evaluation for possibility of aspergers. He is on meds but we have to go back to Dr on Monday to get them adjusted. He is in overload mode. My oldest has asd. My 6 year old has social anxiety aswell. And so far my 21 month old is physically on mark just not talking. It sounds like you are doing s pretty good job. Keep it up. Glad to meet you and have you in this awesome group. Have a great week!

If God answers your prayer, He's increasing your Faith. If He delays your prayer, He's increasing your Patience. If God doesn't answer, He has something Better....#hehasitallworkedout
CBMama06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome!!!  

Quoting sayres:

Welcome to the group. My ds is younger 4.5 but he has oral motor apraxia (a long with other dxs).

CBMama06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Thanks! I can see it already being full of support!! I appreciate it! Have a great weekend!!

Quoting letstalk747:

welcome , glad you are here , lots of support here

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome -very supportive moms here!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  My 3.5 year old has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, and Brain Abnormalities/Damage...I know of SPD and I know some children with it, but my son doesn't have it...look forward to getting to know you!

karenl
by Karen on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hi and welcome to the group!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)