Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Help with personal hygiene

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter has a disorder that causes short limbed dwarfism. She's 11 (almost 12) and has a REALLY hard time washing her own hair and then rinsing it all the way.

Does anyone know of a product, idea, anything that might help her? Right now I have to help her wash and rinse her hair, but she's wanting to do it herself...

Anyway ideas/help would be greatly apprecaited.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Do you have a shower head that disconnects? So she can hold it? Also look into your water pressure. If you can make it a bit stronger the water will shoot farther.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Exactly what I was thinking!  Good luck mama!

Quoting mandee1503:

Do you have a shower head that disconnects? So she can hold it? Also look into your water pressure. If you can make it a bit stronger the water will shoot farther.

Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Yea, we have a detachable one. The problem is still that she can't reach the top of her head well or the back of her head to wash it. Plus, with rinsing it she's worried about getting it in her eyes (she still uses the kids tear free stuff) so she doesn't always get all the shampoo off the top of her head.

lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:30 AM

They have shower caps that actually wash and rinse your hair--you stick them in the microwave and then stick them on your head and move the shower cap around and it washed your hair--they are online or you can find them at your local medical supply stores--

lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I know a guy that uses them-shower caps that wash and rinse and likes them and I was going to purchase them so when my son is ill --and hard to get him in the shower--and he is having a hard time sitting up --I would use those--

Tea4Tas
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Can you get a shower head on a sliding bar-like this one?  You could even get her a reacher to pull it down to the right height-and then she can just get right under it.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM

some kind of hand held  head on it - most stores have them

CameronsMommy23
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM
That's a good idea!

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Can you get a shower head on a sliding bar-like this one?  You could even get her a reacher to pull it down to the right height-and then she can just get right under it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN