Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Sleeping Issues-UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 16 Replies

Brady has been having a hard time with his sleep lately...this has been going on for a few weeks I would say.  Now I will say that he's transitioning out of his nap, so he will either take a short late nap (like around 4:00 for about 45 minutes) and then go to bed around 9:00-9:30 OR he will NOT take a nap and go to bed around 6:30-7:00.  Either option is really fine with me as this is what happens when kids transition out of their daily naps (from what I've heard).

Here's the problem...he wakes up in the night, multiple times some nights, regardless of whether he had a nap or what time he went to bed...he wakes up in the night coughing, crying, or laughing...seriously!  A lot of times he wakes up coughing..he has Cystic Fibrosis, so he does cough a lot from the mucus in his lungs.  Other times he will maybe have a bad dream and wake up crying?  Other times he will wake up at 2:00 in the morning laughing...what he did last night!  He was up until 4:00 coughing...yes, he went from laughing to coughing!  I have NO idea why he's waking up during the night...he NEVER used to do this!  He's always slept SO well!  

Any ideas?  There are some nights that he can't seem to go to sleep...like he can't shut his mind off and go to sleep...he's too excited and wants to do things.  He has a pediatrician appointment on Wednesday so I plan to mention it to her then.

I wanted your opinions first though:)  Thanks!

UPDATE - We figured out why Brady was waking up in the night...regardless of what time he went to bed, he would wake up at all hours and we realized it was mainly b/c his belly was hurting.  He gets 800+ calories of Pediasure w/ Fiber at night through his night feed, and I think he had bad gas, so I started giving him gas drops before he went to bed the past 2 nights and he has slept all night long without waking up!  Now, that doesn't fix the problem of when he goes to bed, but it's a start!  

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

hmmmmm , any changes  , new things or people or ??? been around him , meds im sure know can change sleep ,  be sure and let us know what DR says ,

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Katy doesn't sleep well either at night. I think she is just so overly exhausted she never sleeps well. Most nights she whines, and goes right back to sleep. Sometimes we are up by 3 or 4 in the morning, because she screams and cries and wakes everyone up. :(

If you find out let me know too!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:35 AM

No changes...not that I can think of.  I'll keep you posted!

Quoting letstalk747:

hmmmmm , any changes  , new things or people or ??? been around him , meds im sure know can change sleep ,  be sure and let us know what DR says ,

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Thanks ladies...he went to bed around 9:00 last night and is still sleeping right now (5:35) and didn't wake up once, so this is good!

karenl
by Karen on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that is good! Let us know how your appointment goes.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Thanks ladies...he went to bed around 9:00 last night and is still sleeping right now (5:35) and didn't wake up once, so this is good!

sammygrl77
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Brooke went through a stage like that. I think it is typical and hopefully short lived for you. I remember Alana used to wake up at night also. She would sneak into my bed and id wake up with her there.

A therapist told me once that big behavior changes means the child is about to make a huge developmental milestone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you that NT kids usually have changes in sleep patterns when they are getting ready to master a new milestone.  So, is there a new milestone on the horizon?  :)

Is he able to go back to sleep after waking?  If so, that is normal as well.  We go in and out of sleep patterns (from REM to Light Sleep).  The differnce is some of us (like me and my son Mike) process so much in our minds, that at night we "work" on things as we "dump out the trash" we collected during the day.  Mike will look at his clock, then roll over.  If he is having too much trouble, he joins me in bed.  He will talk, giggle, whine, squirm, etc. 

As for the CF, not much I can help with there.  :)

As for the doc....good luck. 

Hottubgodess
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ON CM AND NOT SLEEPING???????  ROFLMAO!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Will do...it's on Wednesday!

Quoting karenl:

Well that is good! Let us know how your appointment goes.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

LOL!  I go to bed early, like around 9:00 or so and I get up around 5:00...I'm a morning person!

Quoting Hottubgodess:

WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ON CM AND NOT SLEEPING???????  ROFLMAO!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN