Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

am I overreacting?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
3 weeks ago my oldest son (6) came down with pneumonia. He was put on meds and had to switch meds because he had a bad reaction to one of the meds. Well after a week of being on meds and rest he started to recover from it. Well last Thrusday we were out riding bikes. In the middle of riding he stops, drops the bike and sits on the side walk. His face turned red and there was a look of pain on his face. I ask him what's wrong and noticed he was struggling to breath. He say's he can't breath with much effort. I carry him in and we do two breathing treatments before he starts being able to breath good. Friday and Saturday I notice he was coughing some. Sunday he starts complaining of his chest hurting, a slight sore throat and not feeling well. He was not running a fever but complaining of certain problems. This morning when he got up he was still complaining of chest pain, a sore throat and a cough. I called his asthma/allergy doctor to inform them of what was going on and hopefully ease my mind that it's not the pneumonia coming back. The doctor told us to just keep doing what we are doing and call with an update in a day or two. I don't like his casual attitude he takes. I complained for twoweeks before my son got pneumonia that something wasn't right with him and both the ped and the asthma/allergy doctor said just keep doing what I am doing. Am I overreacting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I've heard that once they get pneumonia they are more prone to get it. If your mommy gut is telling you it's something more, I'd push for the dr to see him. Good luck and hope it's nothing serious.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM
He may be getting sick again, either the pneumonia never going away completely, or something new on top of it. Also, when I had pneumonia a few years ago, I had terrible pain in my ribs from coughing so hard and I still got winded really easily for several weeks following. I would have him take it easy a little longer, watch him closely and if his temp goes up or he sounds really bad (wheezing, coughing) take him in. Maybe the antibiotic didn't take care of it completely and he needs a med change. Good luck, I hope it's just that he is still recovering.
Kageegirl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM
I am hoping it is nothing but you never know. I hope I am wrong if I'm not I hope his doctor listens to me before it gets worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM
This is true. Plus it takes 6 weeks for your body to completely recover from pneumonia! I didn't know this till the doctors told us this in the hospital.

Quoting mandee1503:

I've heard that once they get pneumonia they are more prone to get it. If your mommy gut is telling you it's something more, I'd push for the dr to see him. Good luck and hope it's nothing serious.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd keep calling the doc until they take a second look. I hope he feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Totally agree here!  Stick to your gut mama!

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

I'd keep calling the doc until they take a second look. I hope he feels better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)