Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MONEY and special needs kiddo

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM
  • 8 Replies

hi i have a almost 4 year old son with autism who is completely non verbal no words at all he has 6 signs and we just had the developmental preschool eval and iep case conference.  well the lady we had go with us suggested that we get a lawyer to get the school to pay for ABA therapy but lawyers are expensive and we are tapped out. my son is getting 6 hours of ABA therapy for free until we hear back from our insurance company about our appeal. may 19 is the day they gave us . we just got allergy testing done to see if my son has celiac deasise which was expensive the school wants to do pecs with my son (he can not discriminate between pictures so the slp suggested 3d objects which could possibly work however how functional would this be) i dont see how 3 d object will stay on velcro and to transport it would be really awkard the riley hospital slp wants to do the vantage light well this is about 9 thousand dollars i am not even sure my son can do this. we have a crapppy iep i feel developmental preschool is way to advanced for my son and they wont give him an aide i feel like i am in a loosing battle and to top it all off we need to get him in pt and ot and that coast about 100 dollars a session.

sorry for all the rambling  nothing sems to be going our way any thoughts suggestions

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM

A few lawyers will actually take on cases, and won't require payment unless they win. *hugs* sorry you are going through this. We battle our insurance all the time too.

sayres
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM
((hugs)) we are going through the school / insurance fight too. It is really expensive to get your child the care they need. Have you looked into an advocate who could help you fight the aide thing or is that who you had brought with you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time mama!  It's worth a shot to see if a lawyer would take your case for free...no harm in asking!  My son is in ABA therapy but my husband is active duty military so our insurance covers 100% of it.  We are very blessed and I'm sorry you're having to fight for this therapy for your child.  I wish you the best!

sammygrl77
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Have you checked into Easter Seals? I'm not sure how their programs work, but I have an associate that gets help for her autistic son through them.

Also, early intervention has parent advocates. They would know who to contact in your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed2bhismom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

ty all i will keep you updated

lifeisajoy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

This!!  Great Ideas and also some of the local programs may also have some possible options to pay for things or help you too---I know where we live we have an Autism Advocacy Center and they refer families for about anything they are dealing with--Do you have anything like that in your area?

Quoting sammygrl77:

Have you checked into Easter Seals? I'm not sure how their programs work, but I have an associate that gets help for her autistic son through them.

Also, early intervention has parent advocates. They would know who to contact in your area.

crystalsmom686
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Also have you tried to get ssi... My DDR gets SSI and gets Medicaid through them and that can help done of the costs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Ugh. I'm sorry. My sons school paid for a vantage for him. (it was technically their's, but he could borrow it until he aged out of the district at age 21). :) maybe talk to the teacher about that? Sorry, it's my only idea. Also JabTalk is a free app for a Nook or kindle fire or android tablet that turns it Ito a talking machine, and it works really well!! The tablets you can get for around $179! (we have it on the Nook for Elijah)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)