Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

G-Tube Mamas

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
  • 19 Replies

How often do you change your kid's mic-key?  Just curious:)

by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

My insurance only covers 4 each year, so we change Brady's once each quarter...I'd like to do it more often but the mic-key kits are SO expensive and we can't afford them:(

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM
What does the change require? Is it done under anesthesia? That stinks that you can't do it more! Is it because it gets worn out that you'd like to do it more often? (I don't know much about G-tubes)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

My insurance only covers 4 each year, so we change Brady's once each quarter...I'd like to do it more often but the mic-key kits are SO expensive and we can't afford them:(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Oh no!  It's just a change out of his mic-key...simple and done at home:)  It gets dirty after being used for a few months and needs to be changed...it turns yellow and brown as meds and food go through it..yuck!  I know another mom that changes her son's mic-key every month and her insurance Medicare pays for one each month!  I would honestly like to change it out every other month, but we now change it out every 3 months...not a huge difference...I'm just being picky!

Quoting Elyssa414:

What does the change require? Is it done under anesthesia? That stinks that you can't do it more! Is it because it gets worn out that you'd like to do it more often? (I don't know much about G-tubes)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Here's a link to a short video that shows you what is it to change one out:)

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM
I can totally understand that! It would drive me crazy to have it all gummed up and dirty looking!! Any chance of getting Brady on Medicaid as categorically needy?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh no!  It's just a change out of his mic-key...simple and done at home:)  It gets dirty after being used for a few months and needs to be changed...it turns yellow and brown as meds and food go through it..yuck!  I know another mom that changes her son's mic-key every month and her insurance Medicare pays for one each month!  I would honestly like to change it out every other month, but we now change it out every 3 months...not a huge difference...I'm just being picky!

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't qualify as it's income based right?  We aren't rich by any means but I'm fairly confident that my husband makes too much money to qualify plus Tricare is fantastic insurance and this is the ONLY thing I have ever complained about!  Not sure how all the money stuff works with Medicare...not all of Jeff's pay is taxable, only part of it is, so we might qualify that way...I need to look into though.

Quoting Elyssa414:

I can totally understand that! It would drive me crazy to have it all gummed up and dirty looking!! Any chance of getting Brady on Medicaid as categorically needy?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

When Jacob has his it was going to cost almost 200 each time we needed replacements. So I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it more then 2-3 times a year.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yeah really!  The ones I've found online to purchase are about $260 each!  Geez!

Quoting mandee1503:

When Jacob has his it was going to cost almost 200 each time we needed replacements. So I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it more then 2-3 times a year.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM
We don't qualify because of income too, so have to pay a premium and in order to get him back on I had to cancel both kid's regular insurance to prove that we were paying out more than 10% of our gross income for insurance- it was really scary to do that!!! But that was the only way to get Medicaid back after Matt started making too much money!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Oh my goodness!  So your other 2 children aren't covered at all then?  Does Matt have insurance through his work?

Quoting Elyssa414:

We don't qualify because of income too, so have to pay a premium and in order to get him back on I had to cancel both kid's regular insurance to prove that we were paying out more than 10% of our gross income for insurance- it was really scary to do that!!! But that was the only way to get Medicaid back after Matt started making too much money!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)