Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

New! Am I in the right place?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son, Austin, will be three years old in August. He has recently had his first evaluation with the Early Intervention team. He will be startig speech-language therapy and occupational therapy for a wide range of sensory issues. He also scored very low in his fine motor skills. My family and I think ASD is a possiblity but EI has told us that we are not at the point in the process to make that diagnosis. I just needed somewhere I could talk to someone who understands. I am new to all of this and a little overwelmed at the moment. 

My name is Tabitha. I am 25 and besides Austin, I had another little boy named Liam 8 months ago:) 

If Im not in the right group does anyone know a group better for me?

Thanks so much! xoxo

Austin Gabriel 8/19/09 7lbs 1oz 19in 6:19pm

Liam David 8/25/11 9lbs 4oz 21in 2:17pm
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Welcome to the group! You at in the right place! We have lots of different dx here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on May. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

welcome , glad you are here ,

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Welcome! You're in the right place. We're glad to have you here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 9, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Welcome to the group! There are lots of mamas here with kiddos similar to yours. We have a huge range of special needs here! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 9, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Yep, these ladies are right!  Welcome to the group!  You're in the right place:)  My son has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, and Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  When he was diagnosed with Autism, it was very hard for us and took us a while to accept it, but he's come SO far in his therapies and we couldn't be more proud!

sayres
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Welcome! This is a wonderful group. A couple things popped out at me from your post. First, EI (early intervention) is normally a birth - 3 years program. Is this the case in your state? If it is has your caseworker discussed the process of transitioning to your public school district?
2nd thing was that at least in my state (nj) EI is not able to diagnose children. Have you had your son seen by a developmental pediatrician? If not you might want to make an appointment. It would be helpful to have that kind of work up when meeting with the school district.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi and welcome to the group. You are definitely in the right place. We have a lot of mom's who can point you in the direction or ask the right questions. I'm Amber and I am 25 years old. I have a 'normal' son named Justin who's development is awesome but than I have 18 month old Austin who has been diagnosed with many things: Spastixc Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, HIE, Lyringomalacia, Traciamalacia, high muscle tone, global delays and several other things. He has a G/J tube because he aspirates when eating and so thankful for the medical technology that they have these days. If you need anything feel free to PM me!

lilmama0210
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I am very new to all this! Yes, I believe that EI is til the age of 3. I guess I always thought you had to "get in" before 3, not that it would stop once they turn 3. I didn't know the school district would have anything to do with it. What business does the school district have with a 3 year old?:( I also know the EI cannot diagnose children for ASD. But my caseworker made it clear we are not at that point to even discuss it since we have just started this journey. I am trying to let it all sink in a bit before I start making anymore appointments. I really do not even know what is going on a this point. Feeling a bit lost. Im just taking one day at a time. I went to High School with my caseworker and she is helping guide me through it all. Thanks so much for your reply:)

Quoting sayres:

Welcome! This is a wonderful group. A couple things popped out at me from your post. First, EI (early intervention) is normally a birth - 3 years program. Is this the case in your state? If it is has your caseworker discussed the process of transitioning to your public school district?
2nd thing was that at least in my state (nj) EI is not able to diagnose children. Have you had your son seen by a developmental pediatrician? If not you might want to make an appointment. It would be helpful to have that kind of work up when meeting with the school district.

natesmom1228
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Welcome to the group. You are in the right place and we are glad that you are here.

sayres
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I understand, I hope I didn't overwhelm you. We have all been where you are. It is difficult to think that there might be an issue with your child. You are getting your son the help he needs. In most states EI stops once the child turns 3 and then the child goes to special ed preschool through the public school if they qualify. It's great that your caseworker is so supportive.

Quoting lilmama0210:

I am very new to all this! Yes, I believe that EI is til the age of 3. I guess I always thought you had to "get in" before 3, not that it would stop once they turn 3. I didn't know the school district would have anything to do with it. What business does the school district have with a 3 year old?:( I also know the EI cannot diagnose children for ASD. But my caseworker made it clear we are not at that point to even discuss it since we have just started this journey. I am trying to let it all sink in a bit before I start making anymore appointments. I really do not even know what is going on a this point. Feeling a bit lost. Im just taking one day at a time. I went to High School with my caseworker and she is helping guide me through it all. Thanks so much for your reply:)

Quoting sayres:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN