Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Melatonin use in children with sleep issues.

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 25 Replies
My ds has special needs and has been having sleep issues in the last month. It's wearing us both out so his pediatrician said I could use 1-2 mg of melatonin right before his usual bedtime to see if it helps him fall asleep any easier. Were talking he's only been getting 4-6 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period :'( . Everybody knows sleep time is when our babies do their growing so after a month of this and various other concerns this is our last resort before we end up doing a sleep study. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has an experience with melatonin use in there children. He's 13 months 10 months adjusted
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennalking1992
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I have not used it or heard of being used in children, but i use it myself(: its just a vitamin. what it does is creates natural chemicals in your brain that make you sleepy when your in a dark room or area(: its perfectly harmless to give to him i promise!(: its completely natural. just keep in mind that it takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to work, so give it to him a pretty decent time before his bed time(: it doesnt keep him asleep for 8 hours like most sleep meds do. but just make sure when you give it to him, that its at night. that way he will be laying in the dark and it will actually work(: hope this helps!

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Here's a bump because several mommy's here use it for their kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

My son takes clonodine for sleep. It works wonders for us.

Charliesmommy11
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Thanks ! I really appreciate the input !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyofmany8
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I use melatonin for my adopted daughter.  She has Reactive Attachment disorder.  At first I thought it might be giving her bad dreams but after a few days that seems to have stopped.  I started using it when she was two.  It has been a miracle drug for us.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Elijah used melatonin for years!! It really helped him fall asleep! There were no adverse effects like addiction, and once his sleep cycles became more regulated we stopped using it with no problems. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Bump for children--My husband uses it and it works great and no side effects

letstalk747
by Joy on May. 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

my 12 yr old has been taking it about 5 months  now -- works great

Jaydensmommy83
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM
My son has used clonodine and melatonin and they've both worked..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I have not yet but I have heard so many good things about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)