Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Tell me how you feel about this...

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 17 Replies
So the city has a Saturday once a year that is like a carnival for special needs kids. Nice thought right? But here is the kicker. It is ONLY for special needs kids. If the goal is inclusion in the community, this isn't the way to do it. All the special needs people are excited to go and don't seem to share my same issues with it. I won't take my son. My nephew does not have special needs and couldnt go with us & I want my son spending time with family & typically developing peers. I feel like writing a letter explaining my feelings about the way it's being handled but I don't want to seem ungrateful. Am I nitpicking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on May. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We have something similar here and they do have a special needs day, but that just means that they get in for free. Anyone is allowed to go.

At the very least, they should allow whoever you want to bring with you to come along (like your nephew). What if you have more than one child???
myfirstborn04
by on May. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
That is so wrong. I have four boys. Only pme OS diagnosed. But all have issues. Where one goes we all go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sayres
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that they might be trying to dothe right thing. But I agree, this would really upset me. It would upset me that my whole family could go together. I don't want my son isolated just because of his disability.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TommyAbby
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love it! A place where my kids could go and play in a place where people understand they might need help or things a bit easier for them to win the games. No pushy and impatient "regular" kids who don't get why Matty in front of them takes a bit longer to do a game.  I think it's fantastic! We have play groups here for kids with Special Needs. My kids go for the one day each month. They LOVE it. It is great for them to have a place that caters to them and their needs. They also do activities in the community. It's a great mix.

And it's only once a year :( I would take advantage of it and have fun. You have 364 days to spend time with family and go to other carnivals with them.

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I would write and explain how you feel. It will help get it out plus they might change the rules next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly agree and feel the same way.

Quoting TommyAbby:

I would love it! A place where my kids could go and play in a place where people understand they might need help or things a bit easier for them to win the games. No pushy and impatient "regular" kids who don't get why Matty in front of them takes a bit longer to do a game.  I think it's fantastic! We have play groups here for kids with Special Needs. My kids go for the one day each month. They LOVE it. It is great for them to have a place that caters to them and their needs. They also do activities in the community. It's a great mix.

And it's only once a year :( I would take advantage of it and have fun. You have 364 days to spend time with family and go to other carnivals with them.

FeliciaDG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Quoting TommyAbby:

We took Briley to Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio which is a playground that caters to those with special needs but it's inclusive for all people. That I really loved. We also have a boundless playground here built for children with special needs but it's also inclusive. That's cool that you have the playgroup for children with special needs. My kiddo really only interacts with other children at school and that's even very minimal.
FeliciaDG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Exactly. It's a challenge for families with multiple children to enjoy time together in the community when one has a disability. It would just be nice if the spirit was inclusion. I guess we still have a ways to go there.
FeliciaDG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
After reading the replies here and thinking about it, I decided I will write a letter in the spirit of education, not anger. I will just explain what it is like as a parent of a child with a disability to see him excluded from so many opportunities in the community & that while I realize the intention is to do something for special needs children, it's exclusionary if it doesn't involve the community. It would be nice if they at least made this a function that included special families too.
FeliciaDG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies special mamas! I think maybe it is a budget issue, they don't want to spend the money there. They recently discontinued transportation services for the elderly and disabled as well. Maybe they could take the money for this carnival and make another community event more accessible for special needs children. Dreams!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN