Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Great Neurology Appointment

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM
  • 28 Replies
2 moms liked this

We had a great appointment Friday. She was so excited about how well Jacob is doing, happy with his progress and even said his surgery scars looked amazing and the surgeon did wonderful.

She told that Jacob is at an age where seizures should not be a problem, and not to expect them. Not that they can't still occur, but it would be very low odds.

I am so glad we had such a good appointment. I am still exhausted from our short trip. Lots of driving!

On another good note Jacob held his bottle the whole time during one of his feedings. I am so excited, and of course cried! LoL Little steps!

by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
japanmommy
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM
That's great! I love hearing good things about neuro appointments, I'm due in August and the baby has ventriculomegaly and I'm nervous about upcoming surgeries and appointments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Hang in there momma, they seem scary, but as long as you have a great surgical team working with you, things will be so much easier. Do mind explaining what that is? Also what surgeries are being scheduled already?

Quoting japanmommy:

That's great! I love hearing good things about neuro appointments, I'm due in August and the baby has ventriculomegaly and I'm nervous about upcoming surgeries and appointments.

japanmommy
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM
Ventriculomegaly is the ventricles in her brain are much larger than they should be and if they continue to grow it will turn to hydrocephalus and a shunt will be placed to drain excess fluid. No surgeries will be scheduled until she's born and we have a better idea of what's going on, I haven't even met with a neurologist yet because my husband is stationed in Japan so I'm waiting for paperwork to be returned to the states. I think I'm going to my home state of WA and I've heard great things about the neurology department at Seattle children's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MauiStylinMommy
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 4:26 AM
My baby has this too! Her 3rd ventricle is enlarged but no shunt is needed right now thank God!

Quoting japanmommy:

Ventriculomegaly is the ventricles in her brain are much larger than they should be and if they continue to grow it will turn to hydrocephalus and a shunt will be placed to drain excess fluid. No surgeries will be scheduled until she's born and we have a better idea of what's going on, I haven't even met with a neurologist yet because my husband is stationed in Japan so I'm waiting for paperwork to be returned to the states. I think I'm going to my home state of WA and I've heard great things about the neurology department at Seattle children's.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
japanmommy
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM

That's great there is no shunt needed! So far her lateral vents are measuring 14mm each but the third and fourth are actually normal! Hoping it stays that way or even goes down! 

Quoting MauiStylinMommy:

My baby has this too! Her 3rd ventricle is enlarged but no shunt is needed right now thank God!

Quoting japanmommy:

sayres
by on May. 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM
I'm glad to hear that your appointment went well. That is wonderful news!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Wonderful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM

That is awesome Amanda that Jacob had a great apt!!! and Congrats Jacob for holding his bottle for the whole feeding-little steps are a huge huge deal especially with our kiddos!!  That is so so awesome!

congratulationsJacob!!

willysmama
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

That is great news!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Good plan!! My son has had 4 major brain surgeries at Seattle Children's! We LOVE them.

Quoting japanmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)