Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

A Letter from the Mom of That Autistic Boy Your Kid Played With at the Playground (VIDEO)

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

A Letter from the Mom of That Autistic Boy Your Kid Played With at the Playground (VIDEO)

Posted by The Stir Bloggers

LeoShannon Des Roches Rosa goes by Squid Rosenberg in the interwebs, where she writes about being a mom to three -- including Leo, who has autism. Her blog, Squidalicious, is equal parts hilarious and heartwarming. We love her so much, we know you will to.

To help us celebrate Mother's Day, here is one of her magical mom moments: when her son on the spectrum was just like everyone else's kid playing in the local park:

Leo has socializing opportunities aplenty -- around town, with all the people and kids who come to visit and swim and cook with us, during excursions. But those interactions are all heavily managed, to help him avoid sensory overstimulation, and so he won't pull a frustrated HULK SMASH on me, his sisters, or unsuspecting passersby. It breaks my heart to write this, but: he is not a free-range boy, not in scenarios where other children are running wild. It's too risky.

So when he asked to "go play, play with the kids" who were swarming the merry-go-round at Franklin Square playground today, my initial reaction was no. HELL NO. Not just because Leelo is unpredictable, but because -- as I suddenly realized -- I don't trust other children to be kind to him.

But he wanted to go. He was desperate to go, to be part of the puppy pileup of his-aged kids. He kept saying, "Want to play, want to play!" Ours is a boy who rarely asks to play with other kids. How could I say no?

I said yes.

Off he ran. He dove straight through the outer ring of children, and positioned himself in the center of the merry-go-round. I stood nearby, reminding myself to breathe, ready to spring, explain, apologize.

I never had to.

The other children accepted Leo at their center, without question. No one said anything, or gave him funny looks, not even as he his siren-like crow of delight grew louder as the kids spun faster, faster, faster.

Look at this ecstatic boy-in-the-middle:

Leo

I'll be watching this video on YouTube nonstop for the next 48 hours

Parents, if any of those children belong to you, please give them extra hugs from me. They're amazing.

Today was Leelo's first day of summer. I hope it has set the tone for the next two months.

For more of Shannon, visit her site: Squidalicious

Fan her on Facebook: Squidalicious

Follow her on Twitter: @ShannonRosa

When have you wanted to run out and hug another child for being kind to your kid?

Our series of mom bloggers we love runs throughout May in honor of Mother's Day. Click here to see them all.

Images via Squidalicious

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sammygrl77
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Thank you for sharing. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 16, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Great article and video!  Love when things like this happen!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)