Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Worried about DS

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
I am going to call the Pediatrician tomorrow, but my little guy has been complaining that his chest hurts. It was once in a while, then it was atleast a few times a week, now it's daily, sometimes a few times a day. I am thinking it might be acid reflux (which he had as an infant) or he may be aspirating because of his feeding issues. But, I am also concerned because I read that the breastbone defect he has can cause chest pain and then of course, there is his heart defects that are repaired, but still monitored.

He keeps saying "chest hurts, go doctors". He started a coughing spell in church this am and was saying it. It broke my heart. Praying they can see him tomorrow and that it doesn't bother him much more until then.
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

does he need to go ER

sammygrl77
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM
(((Hugs)))

Keep us updated on how he is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
If its bothering him that much, maybe take him in today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Thanks ladies!

I am going to wait and call in the am, so we can see his Pediatrician. They usually get them in quick, and I trust him most. He hasn't complained much more since church. He isn't wheezing and doesn't sound congested, so I know it isn't penumonia or anything like that. I am really thinking acid reflux. I am just not 100% sure, of course, and I feel bad for him, because I know how painful that can be. :(

gma12.1
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

You say he isn't wheezing and doesn't sound congested so you know it isn't pneumonia. I don't want to tell you this but it could be. I went through that with my GD she showed no signs of being sick then she began to say her chest hurt but she would get up and go play so I put it off to wanting attention. Suddenly she spiked a temp we went to ER they said her lungs were clear but they couldn't find a reason for the temp the chest x-ray showed pneumonia in both lungs and they were about 50% effected each. She had the pneumonia for over a week before getting the temp and still that was the last thing I was thinking she had too. Since it is Sunday it could be okay till morning, if they don't get him in tomorrow take him to the ER from everything that you have said I wouldn't put it off anymore than tomorrow. One way or another I would get him seen by a doc.

jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Quoting gma12.1:

You say he isn't wheezing and doesn't sound congested so you know it isn't pneumonia. I don't want to tell you this but it could be. I went through that with my GD she showed no signs of being sick then she began to say her chest hurt but she would get up and go play so I put it off to wanting attention. Suddenly she spiked a temp we went to ER they said her lungs were clear but they couldn't find a reason for the temp the chest x-ray showed pneumonia in both lungs and they were about 50% effected each. She had the pneumonia for over a week before getting the temp and still that was the last thing I was thinking she had too. Since it is Sunday it could be okay till morning, if they don't get him in tomorrow take him to the ER from everything that you have said I wouldn't put it off anymore than tomorrow. One way or another I would get him seen by a doc.

Thanks. I understand what you're saying. We are definitely not unfamiliar to pneumonia. I really don't think it's pneumonia though, because he started complaining about it several months ago (the complaints have just gotten more and more frequent). At first, I just thought it was because he had gotten over pneumonia in the Winter and I thought it was just taking him a while to spring back. They did a chest X-ray on him a few months ago (after the first complaints) and his lungs were clear. He had chronic pneumonia for 2 1/2 years due to his heart defect and I have seen him get sick really quick, like you mention, but he has no fever, no congestion, no wheezing and doesn't seem at all sick, just this coughing followed by "chest hurts, go doctor". I will not hesitate to take him to the ER if he starts to run a fever or seems sick.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Big hugs mama!  Hope you get some answers today!

myfirstborn04
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM
I'm sorry, I hope he is OK. Let us know if you see the Dr. I pray all goes well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I made him an appt for 11:50 this morning. My hunch is that it's acid reflux and I hope I am right, because as painful as that can be, it is the lesser of the evils and usually easier to treat, I think. :-/
jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM
We are back from the Ped and are waiting on a prescription or Ranitidine. He believes it is probably acid reflux as well and want us to try this for 2 weeks and then report back. I also feel a bit relieved because he looked at his breast bone defect and told me that it can cause pain and issues with heart lungs if it starts to grow more inward, but believes itis too mild to be causing issues at this point. I will be bringing it up to the cardio at his next appt though, so she can check it out on his echo and make note to monitor it at each visit. Fingers crossed that this med does the trick and relieves his pain. Thanks again, ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN