Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Swimming lessons

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Well I was hoping swimming lessons would be one thing we would be able to do without issue, but he's even too much of a distraction for that, the instructor brought him out of the pool to me and explained she couldn't handle him and watch the other kids too. I understood because I know how he is. I talked to the swim lesson coordinator, he's going to go ahead and let Conor finish out the session (2 more classes to go) and may even try to bring on another lifeguard to help out and then we'll switch to private lessons. He said he's willing to teach him himself if he's allowed. He's a manager so he's not supposed to, but if he arranges it during a time that doesn't conflict with his work schedule he might be able to--I told him if it has to be someone else, that's fine too. I just want my boy to learn how to swim. Luckily he loves the water.

I had planned to start him in lessons when he was a year old, but because of my work schedule I couldn't do it. Sometimes I wonder if it would have made a difference. He just has a minor form of autism (PDD-NOS) and I can't keep him in anything. What would things be like if he was classic?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I'm sorry things are tough with the swimming lessons, but I'm glad to hear that they are willing to accommodate your son!  That's great!  My son is also on the Autism Spectrum, so I know how you feel:)  Good luck mama!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I'm sorry things aren't going smoothly. I hope he thrives in the private lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

yeah , i know how this is , i  always worry that the instructor of whatever class or event my kid may want to join cant handle my kid within a group so i do 1 on 1 classes when i can.

sammygrl77
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I'm sorry:(

But that is wonderful that they are willing to provide private lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I hope it all works out soon.

Kalic0
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM
My son has "classic autism" diagnosis (autistic disorder). Most of the kiddos with this dx are mid-spectrum or greater severity. Swimming lessons with other kids would definitely not work for him. He loves the water, however, in water 3 ft or deeper he needs assistance and one on one supervision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I love it when you say "I just want my boy to swim"  he for sure will with a mom like you!!  Glad he is able to get one on one instruction! Take Care

thatgirl70
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Quoting lifeisajoy:

I love it when you say "I just want my boy to swim"  he for sure will with a mom like you!!  Glad he is able to get one on one instruction! Take Care

I think it's very important. I don't ever want to be in a situation where we come across a body of water somewhere and something happens. DH's family is big on camping and though he hasn't been yet, it's going to happen someday. If they camp near a lake, I want him to be prepared.

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM

that is great-we camp a lot too-

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting lifeisajoy:

I think it's very important. I don't ever want to be in a situation where we come across a body of water somewhere and something happens. DH's family is big on camping and though he hasn't been yet, it's going to happen someday. If they camp near a lake, I want him to be prepared.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)