Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

End of the year school picnic 3 SpEd classes at park!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

Yesterday was the end of school picnic. There are 3 SpEd classes at my GD school and they went to the park. It was fun for all of them there are only about 25 kids total. GD knew that we were going to be there and the funny part was we were in the turn lane and the 2 buses carrying the kids were right behind us. Anyway she was so excited and looking around for us (Papa and Me) that I was standing about 10 feet from her and she didn't see me right away then when she did I had to brace myself as she threw herself at me grabbing me around the waist and at 8 weighing 104 & me 114 she will knock me over if I am not ready for it. She did the same to her Papa and I had warned him to brace for it and he didn't listen, she almost knocked him over, he staggered a little. I just had to tell him "told you so!" The whole time that we were there she would go play then come running back to ask if we had seen her doing this or that, then she would sit next to her Papa and hug on him like she was afraid he would disappear, then suddenly she would be hugging me then run off to play some more. The kids had so much fun and it was a rare sunny very warm day. They played all over the huge grassy area, the playground was closed for repairs, there were parents, grandparents, teachers, aides, and bus drivers trying to keep tabs on all of them. There were only a couple of incidents which was great as the kids had so much stimulis going on and some of them do have a problem with that, they have 2 for sure maybe 3 that can become violent when overload sets in. The one little girl that it happens to the most often was actually so well behaved that I thought about asking the teacher if she had been sedated (haha). They had one little boy that didn't even last 5 minutes before he had to be removed and that went on several times before they got him settled probably 2 hours. My GD was doing really good except we couldn't get her to sit for just a few minutes to cool off and drink more water, then about 45 minutes before we had to leave she began to get difficult she wasn't listening, she even tried to talk back to us once, she also went toe to toe with one girl, then she didn't want to share. She was going into overload and when we were ready to leave I made her go with me to the bathroom so that she wouldn't have an accident, she told me that she just did and I knew she didn't because of where the bathroom was. Good thing I did as she would have had an accident, after taking her back to the group I told her teacher what was going on with her because that isn't her normal behaviour and I wanted them to be aware of it, there are only a couple of other kids that are as big and strong as she is and at very rare times she has pushed and hit and I didn't want her to do that and hurt one of the other kids. She came home as excited as she had been at the park, and it almost an hour to get her to sleep last night.

Last day of school is the 18th and 1/2 day.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sammygrl77
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Sounds like a wonderful time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Glad they had a great day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It was only from began 9:30 we left at 1:00 I got home and just wanted to take a nap.

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Sounds like she had a great time--understand--my son has been totally overloaded with all the change with school lettting out and other activties starting.  Nap sounds good-I would be right with you on that one after that fun and tiring day

gma12.1
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Wish I could have but didn't have the time to once I got home. SD came down to visit and p/u a TV, then I had to go get the twins from sports practice unplanned mind you, no more activity buses for the year. Then dinner, clean up, get Lina ready for bed and try to get her to sleep. I finally got sleep at 10:30.

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Sounds like she had a great time--understand--my son has been totally overloaded with all the change with school lettting out and other activties starting.  Nap sounds good-I would be right with you on that one after that fun and tiring day

i.heart.myboys
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Quoting mandee1503:

Glad they had a great day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Sounds like fun...glad things turned out well!

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Sounds like a great time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)