Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How does your child with sn affect or does it affect your relationship with so/dh or others?  

Our is more not our kiddo but trying to get the services and/or get the adequate care we need-and when I have had it I have dh make a phone call but then he don't ask what is needed-and then I have to make the phone call again anyways--I know dh tries and he is real great with our son but sometimes it is just overwhelming

Overall real good but with all the apts and care sometimes it is like I want to just scream in the woods or something and have everyone leave me alone--been a super rough week!!!

Take care

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Replies (21-24):
lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I am so sorry Mama!! How tough in all aspects for you!

Quoting valleymomma1:

My dh is just not fully getting it my other children handle their little brother better. My dh actually is exhausting at times & needs so much direction, our relationship is on rocky ground I get anxiety when he comes to appts or meetings because I just know he will stick his foot in his mouth. Even the therapy team gets frustrated with him .

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

yes-e-mail is good --use it quite often --when they respond--if not i then e-mail supervisor and go up from there-

Quoting loridori4:

I know it can be tough. One thing I found that makes it easier is using e-mail, instead of calling. Most professionals have a website and a contact form. That way you have time to get your thoughts and questions together, save the draft, send when you're ready. Plus you have their response in writing!
Ive been dredging through the task of finding a new dentist that can anesthesize in office, as my DS will not open his mouth, and has a strong gag reflex. IV sedation does not effect him!
I was pleasantly surprised to get a lengthy response from a dentist, via email, over the weekend!

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Yes our dh's sound alike!!

Quoting Spectrummom311:

Your dh sounds exactly like mine. Mine is not a people person at all. Scheduling and anything else that has to do with Appointments usually falls on me. I think he's worried He will get something wrong. I handle all scheduling but when it comes time to go to appointments he is always there next to me. He does what he can which is excellent because a lot of men don't do enough IMO.

mammakittykat
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

It really hasn't affected our relationship except that it has made us stronger as a couple. Going through everything we went through when I had the twins it made us realize how precious life was and that each day together was a gift because I almost died during child birth.DH is really hands on with our kids when he is home and is really awesome about taking the kids on one of his days off and letting me have a break. Because he figures happy mommy= happy house and= happy couple. We also try and have a date night at least once a month so that way we have a chance to reconnect with eachother without the kiddos.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that it has affected our relationship for the better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)