Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone else have in home health care or lifeskills coach or respite provider for their kids?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

We have all three!!  Respite is as needed--(less than 10 hours a month)  In home health care-is 16 hours a week and Lifeskills is 12.5 hours a week

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM
We have respite and get 10jrs a week right now.

I've been looking into home health care for nights cuz of his seizures and night feeds but I dunno what the qualifications or requirements to get it are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelrach86
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually am a provider that does respite, personal care and companion. But don't have it for my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Brady has an ABA Therapist that is with him for 8-10 hours/week, plus his other therapies, but that's it.  No respite care unless my husband is deployed.

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Get a prescription from your doc-with his diagnoses and what his needs are and what he is unable to do and why the night feeds are needed and re: more about the seizures also--

Quoting Mipsy:

We have respite and get 10jrs a week right now.

I've been looking into home health care for nights cuz of his seizures and night feeds but I dunno what the qualifications or requirements to get it are.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM

we don't have in home- but do have outside, and they work on lifeskills. krista gets to go all week. they even do some things on saturday.

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

That is nice!! My son just starting this past Fall with his lifeskills coach and loves it!! 

Quoting kimber2465:

we don't have in home- but do have outside, and they work on lifeskills. krista gets to go all week. they even do some things on saturday.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Quoting lifeisajoy:

That is nice!! My son just starting this past Fall with his lifeskills coach and loves it!! 

Quoting kimber2465:

when we lived in a small town- we couldn't get her on the program- there wasn't enought funds. they were only doing the emergency ones, as they put it. the sheltered workshop was just barely going, they were lucky if they worked three days a week. i felt so sorry for the adults that didn't have any family support.  here i was so surprise when the lady said krista go could go!!  and even more when she said she could go all week if she wanted to!! the sheltered workshop here has a long waiting list- but compared to the other one( which is all i have to compare it too) they have alot of work for them here!!

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM

we were on the waiting list 6 years and already maxed out the funds (there is another waiting list for a different type of waiver that we are now on--it is the waiting game-this allows more fund for him--my son needs 24/7 supervised care and so we need the other waiver--just waiting-hopefully not another six years--

Glad your daughter got in it!!!

Quoting kimber2465:

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Quoting kimber2465:

when we lived in a small town- we couldn't get her on the program- there wasn't enought funds. they were only doing the emergency ones, as they put it. the sheltered workshop was just barely going, they were lucky if they worked three days a week. i felt so sorry for the adults that didn't have any family support.  here i was so surprise when the lady said krista go could go!!  and even more when she said she could go all week if she wanted to!! the sheltered workshop here has a long waiting list- but compared to the other one( which is all i have to compare it too) they have alot of work for them here!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN