Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

is your kid non-verbal , and how old are they ?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Replies (21-26):
codabearsmom
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

My son is 14yrs old he says a few words like mom,no,car, or when he want's to he uses pecs at school and pictures he is comeing along day by day

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

he has a hi-frequency hearing loss 75% , and he wears hearing aids , he can hear somethings without them , and he talks good with years of speech therapy

Quoting Alex825:

Her hearing is perfect! She has low muscle tone (hypotonia). That is the cause of her being non-verbal. She doesnt have the strength/muscle in her face/jaw to be able to talk. Its the same as paraplegia. No muscles to talk. Sad but true. Does your SN child hear? I am the deaf onein the family. lol

Quoting letstalk747:

does she  also have a hearing issues  ?

Quoting Alex825:

My DD is almost 22 and is a mute/non-verbal. She signs, uses pictures, etc or just drags me to what she needs or wants. Trust me she gets her point across. lol What ever works. 

Alex825
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

So glad to hear that he does well with hearing aids. I have a 50% loss of Low tones and a 25% loss of hi tones.. I have been deaf all my life, but back 40 years ago they only made hearing aids for hi-frequency loss, It is the most common loss of hearing. Plus my family could not afford to buy me the hearing aids. So with that said, getting your DS to wear the aids at a young age is wonderful. He will be used to them and used to hearing hi-tones. Its a freaking noisy world we live in. When your not used to hearing, and then you stick hearing aids in the ears, it is immediate migraines. After 46 years, I got hearing aids. They are not the "miracle" I had hoped for. They are digitally programmed, however I still can not hear well with them. Tooo much noise drowns out everything. lol. I watch TV on mute with Closed Captioning! If I was to put the sound on, I will get a headache and it is tooooo loud to hear. 

Can he talk or is just staying mute? Does he have the capability to talk? Meaning muscles etc.  

Quoting letstalk747:

he has a hi-frequency hearing loss 75% , and he wears hearing aids , he can hear somethings without them , and he talks good with years of speech therapy

Quoting Alex825:

Her hearing is perfect! She has low muscle tone (hypotonia). That is the cause of her being non-verbal. She doesnt have the strength/muscle in her face/jaw to be able to talk. Its the same as paraplegia. No muscles to talk. Sad but true. Does your SN child hear? I am the deaf onein the family. lol

Quoting letstalk747:

does she  also have a hearing issues  ?

Quoting Alex825:

My DD is almost 22 and is a mute/non-verbal. She signs, uses pictures, etc or just drags me to what she needs or wants. Trust me she gets her point across. lol What ever works. 

i.heart.myboys
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Even though he has said ma, hi, da they said that it might just us 'hoping' to hear him talk and say he's still non verbal even though we video taped it. He's 20 months old

Sstrong1310
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
My daughter is non verbal and about to turn 11.
megs2boys
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Sam will be 3 in Sept and he is completely non verbal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN