Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Worried about a Sibling

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello.

I have an almost 3-year-old son with severe autism and an 11-month old daughter.  I cannot help but worry about both my kids all the time.  With regards to my daughter, I worry because although she is really different from her brother in lots of ways, she is also really different from other kids.  One way that she is similar to her brother is that she likes to hold two identical objects, one in each hand.  Have any of you experienced this with an autistic child or his/her sibling?

Thanks,

Renee

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Welcome to the group!  Glad to have you here:)

I can understand worrying about both of your children, but at the age of 11 months, what you're describing from your daughter seems "normal" to me.  I don't find that odd at all, but maybe it's just me:)  

My 3.5 year old is Autistic, but not in the classic sort of way.  He meets ALL criteria for Autism EXCEPT the social part:)  He is social as the day is long...eye contact is wonderful...that's his shining star!  He mets all other criteria though...he doesn't talk, has development of a 1 year old, doesn't eat much, doesn't understand much, stemming, VERY repetitive behavior, etc.  He doesn't hold 2 identical objects though..he typically just holds one object and carries it around, but I will say that all children, even Autistic ones, are different:)

Hugs mama and I hope things get better for you!  

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM

welcome to the group-understand worrying but that also a normal behavior for a 11 mth old-Hugs and Welcome to the group!!welcome

sammygrl77
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Welcome to the group!

I constantly worry about all my kids. I think having a special child makes us hyper vigulant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammakittykat
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I agree with the other moms. My oldest son has aspergers syndrome and ADHD, my daughter has ADHD and my twins both have CP. I often see things in my twins and my daughter that makes me think that they are on the spectrum somewhere. Especially one of my twins. (the one with the more severe CP) He has a lot of the classic autism behaviors, like the stemming and the lining things up and wanting things to always be a certain way, but then in my research I have found that those are also typical behaviors for children with CP. As a mother of special needs children we tend to be more intune with the nuances of our children's behaviors and wonder if that behavior is because of something or if that is just one of thier quirks. Good Luck girly. And if you are truely worried about it, my suggestion is write down your concerns and bring them up with your pediatrician at your next visit.

i.heart.myboys
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I have no experience with this but good luck on this. I hope all is well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Welcome! I have no experience so here is a bump!

CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:08 AM
I agree. Since my 1st born is my special needs kiddo I watched my twins very closely especially their first yr to make sure that they were developmentally on track. They're almost 2 now and I'm just starting to not worry about them. Your baby sounds like a "normal" 11 month old to me.

And welcome to the group!!!
Quoting sammygrl77:

Welcome to the group!

I constantly worry about all my kids. I think having a special child makes us hyper vigulant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
renee.s
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thank you for all of the replies.  I really bappreciate the support!

kadences_momma
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My special needs child is also my first and I was paranoid with my daughter. In my case I think part of the problem was I wasn't sure what was normal for that age because my son and daughter were so different and I was so worried. But it will get easier. Welcome to the group.

ashleywheeler13
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM
My youngest brother is autistic. His is from a missing arm of Chormosome 2. And he has other issues that is also cause by another defect gene. My youngest sister has cp. our family went threw a stage where when my daughter and nephew was born at 24 weeks we all freaked out. I'm always watching my daughter for signs of autism. But I think that's just something parent does is being protective
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)