Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Has anyone been through the SSI process? How did it go for you? Any tips? I am paperwork queen but I am terrible at talking to people in person and on the phone. I get so flustered :(

I just spent 4 hours (!!!!!!) filling out the Child Disability Report online. It took forver to imput information for 21 different dr and therpist he has seen in the past 34 months. And I had pre typed some of it out so it was easier for me to do lol.

Just called on the phone and have an appointment to go in and fill out the rest (really..... there's more?) of the application on July 19th. I am surprised we are getting in so quick. But they told us it can take 120 days from there to get approved.

I have heard that lots of people get denied the first time they applied but if they appeal they usually get approved. I think if we are denied I wont have the effort left in me to attempt it again lol. So I want to make sure I dont mess anything up the first time. :P

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Replies (21-27):
michele115
by Michele on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

A social worker from the NICU applied us for SSI. I didn't even have to do anything. Then a worker called me and asked a few questions. I was on unemployment at the time. They sent me a packet with some forms and I had to pretty much just sign them. They said usually there is a waiting period of a few months to do the investigation but since he has down syndrome it is a cut and dry case and I had it the next month.

gabbie40
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Yes you are right I applied in 2011 for my daughter disability and
I got denied . I then applied this year and it is a lot of paperwork and answering question
I was scared that they will denied me again. I answer the question and have her teacher do the same. So just take your time take a deep breath and I know you will get it
I was happy when my daughter came through.
mom18103
by Lisa on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

How much income can you have coming in to qualify? What is the maximum? Does anyone know?

ashleywheeler13
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I think family of 3 maximum is like 35k or 38k I know it isn't that high
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

okay i have been dealing with ssi for yearss. taking anything or get from your doctor(s), school teacher, any testing they have done- or you have done for your child. they will ask you about what you own from saving, house, car, ect.  WHAT YOU GET OR DON'T IS BASED OFF INCOME.  if you do get it- you need to keep all your reciepts they will send a form once a year that you have to say where the money went. the full amount about 700 dollars

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

We had a meeting on the phone and in person--on the phone if you have one ask what you need-we were approved in 30 days--they even said on the phone he would be approved more than likely but never can say for sure till it happens--my son is 19 years old and needs 24/7 care --and has cerebral palsy and moderate intellectual disabilities 

Sound like you are prepared--

mendezliana
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I was denied the first time i applied for my child because of our income but now that our income has changed i am reapplying I have my appointment on July 18th. So imma keep my fingers crossed that we get approved this time. Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN