Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

my son with autism and v.a.t.e.r. syndrome, i want to give him the world

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 7 Replies

i have 2 kids, ages 2 and 4.  my 4 year old was recently diagnoised with autism.  i was completely devistated in the beginning, but have accepted it.  he is on the severe end of the spectrum, but i know he is capable of anything.  i was also recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and have had to have surgery myself.  i have no family,  my parents passed away and i was an only child.  i am also a single mother.  my son has many medical issues that i take care of myself at home.  we do pretty well but there are many things i could use help with.  i would appreciate feedback on what others do in similar situations.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Have you looked into respite care? If you qualify you could get someone to come in and help take care of your sn kid while you do other things. Good luck, and am sorry for your recent diagnosis.

lasombrs
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Do any of his therapists come to the home or can you set up for them to do so while you recover from surgery? I have heard many people speak of respite care before but have never looked into it myself. I think your local family first agency would be the one to call and see if they can help. *hugs* good luck!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Welcome to the group Mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Welcome to the group!

I agree to look into respite or nusing care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Welcome to the group!! I'd definitely try getting assistance at home for your son & yourself. You can always come here and vent too. Big hugs!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autiziumom
by Bravo on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I'm so thankful those kids have such a brave strong mom!!! I tip my hat to u. All I can say is HORA!HORA! U ROCK!!!!!
lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hi and Welcome!!  

I have epilepsy and other diagnoses-nerve damage due to shingles numerous times (side effect of my epilepsy), and severe migraines and colitis

My son has cerebral palsy and needs 24/7 care and is 19 yrs old and is in a wheelchair/non-verbal-

What to do-talk to your insurance company and an advocate for your son through your insurance company, talk to your local human service dept to see if you can get a caseworker for your son to help with supports, contact your local autism center, contact your local cancer center and contact a local in home health care agency

Services you could possibly qualify for your son-- therapeutic support staff, behavioral therapist, respite, and in home health care help--also a health care advocate for you if you have insurance through your insurance company and health care advocate for your son through his health insurance company

If all else fails or not getting what you need or in a timely manner-call Disability Rights Network-

I have done most all of the above-

Take Care and hope you receive the help YOU DESERVE!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN