Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

bed wetting in older children?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
I have reached my witts end. My oldest is 6 1/2 years old and still wets the bed. He will go one to two days without wetting the bed and then go a week to ten days wetting the bed. This has been ongoing since we started potty training at 2. He doesn't have any accidents throughout the day just at night. We have tried not allowing him to have anything to drink for two hours before bed, we've tried encouraging him to pee before he lays down to bed and we have even tried waking him up to potty so he doesn't pee the bed, but he still pees the bed. When I ask my son why he pees the bed he says because he can't feel when he has to go, it just happens. I have been buying good nights for him to wear to bed so I'm not cleaning blankets and sheets every night. He recently expressed how he doesn't like wearing them. He promised me Monday that he was ready to stop peeing the bed. I agreed to let him try going without a pull up. He didn't pee the bed that night. I thought that maybe he really was ready. The next night he promised he wasn't going to pee. Again no pull up. He woke up Tuesday morning soaked. His blankets, sheets and jammies. I stripped his bed and washed his stuff. That night I was a little uneasy about letting him go without a pull up. He promised he was going to not pee the bed. I gave him one last chance. The next morning again he woke up soaked. We stripped his bed and I washed his stuff. I told him he needs to wear his goodnights again because he wasn't ready to go without them because he's still having accidents. I've spoken with his pediatrician who thinks that he's just sleeping too hard and not noticing when he needs to go. He recommended setting a time throughout the night to wake him up and encourage him to use the potty. We've been doing this for awhile now with no luck. Help! Anyone else have an older child who still wets the bed? What are you guys doing or what workwd to help them overcome it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

How many times to take him?  Have you tried different times?  How often does he pee in toilet (like time frame b/w --like does he go every 3 hours or so?  

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

i am so goin to watch this post........   i know the feeling OP... i know the feeling

sammygrl77
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Sorry I don't have too much experience with this. I was a nanny for a girl years ago that wet the bed. She had some sort of a bladder issue. It was diagnosed after I had left the family so I dont know the details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I have this problem with my ss and ds one is 6 and one is 10. I just require both wear good nights
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I haven't had this experience with this yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timswife_momof2
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

mine is 5 and has the same problems if u find something that works let me know. mine also does number 2 in her closet.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

good night just came out with sheet for the bed. most kids outgrow this by age five. but there are some it may take up to age 10-12. don't make your child feel bad or guilty- it isn't something that they can control. has anything change in your child's life? try not to stress about it- that can tigger it. you can try the sticker/reward method for night, they  make a moisture alarm- that will sound if he starts to. the alarm teaches your child's brain to pay attention to signals from the bladder. after so many nights he will start waking up on his own to go or learn to hold it til morning. you can get one from the local pharmacy. then there is bladder retraining- this teaches your child to hold it longer and can stretch his bladder to hold more. you will have to keep track of how often your child goes to the bathroom and then increase the time between bathroom and trips a little bit each day. the last would be to talk to your doctor about medicines if nothing else is working. you child won't make as much during the night if they haven't been drinking a lot before bed.- it is important to stay hydrated but try to give most drinks before 5-6 pm and only one drink with dinner, swap caffeniated sodas( these make your bodies make more) for water or milk. create a bedtime routine with the last thing go to the bathroom. make a diary- record what and how much your child drinks for at least a week, also write down when he has wet and dry nights( to help you figure out if the bedwetting is linked to certain tiggers or stressors ).

gma12.1
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I was told that kids commonly wet the bed up until age 12. My GS wet his bed several times a week until he was 10 he is now 13. My GD who is our SN child is 8 and she wets the bed. She goes to the bathroom before bed sometimes she gets up on her own and goes other times we wake her up and she'll go but even with that she will still wet the bed. I get woke up anywhere between 2-4 in the morning to find dry jammies, change bed, and get her back into bed. She does this in no real pattern, she will wet the bed 1 time then go a week dry then it will be 4-5 days wet. Right now she is still in a toddler bed so the mattress is covered with vinyl but when she goes to a regular bed I'll be putting one of the vinyl mattress covers on the that bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)