Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

iep question

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

Does anyone get any other services through the school besides speech? My son is just transitioning from early intervention to a preschool. He currently sees an OT and his last eval had a lot more then just speech to work on. I asked for a copy of our iep before we actually discuss it and put it in place at our meeting on tuesday and the school is only going to work on speech. Its pages and pages of working on speech, which he does need, but the OT looks to not be happening.

Is that common? How is he supposed to get this service now, where should I be looking to set this up to continue for him?

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hi my son receives OT, Speech, and Pt, technology assistance, and a one on one aide-

Write a letter to the Special Ed administrator in your school district-and then if that don't work get an education advocate, also get the caseworker/supports Coordinator from the County to attend these meetings with you and also one of them or advocate to assist you in writing letter

Also go to school board meetings if you have to (I have)  

Also get an outside  from the school opinion/evaluation of why your child needs it and send that to the school-they don't have to listen but more likely do

We have done all the above for our kiddo--anyone professional outside the school district that can back you up and help you in assisting writing letters will be a bonus

Wish you well!

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Oh I see that on Tuesday your meeting-well start writing letters and tell them you are taking this further and you can ask for an emergency IEP meeting before school starts since that meeting is on Tuesday-we have had to do that--

DO NOT SIGN if the IEP is not what you want-we have done that too!

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM
My son receives speech, OT and PT. What kind of OT are you hoping to get? If it is oral motor work, you can include those under speech or OT, so if you don't have any luck getting OT back, you could fight to get that included as part of his speech goals. If it's more things like handwriting, cutting, coloring, stacking, etc and you feel he still needs the therapy, I would fight for it. Go in prepared with concrete samples (coloring, cutting, handwriting, etc) to show where he is lagging. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dclocalmedia
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

As a mom of two kids who went through their entire school careers on IEPs, I can tell you that anything that costs the district extra money (like OT) will be strongly resisted. You will have to provide proof that it's needed, ask for it, dig in your heels, and ask again.  Be prepared to escalate your request (or at least threaten to) but stay with the chain of command. Start by getting your evaluation papers together, make sure they clearly state a need for the therapy, and if possible, get a doctor to sign it. A developmental pediatrician is a parent's best asset and partner when you are seeking to get what your child needs.

BTW, both of my daughters ended up getting the PT and OT they needed at school.

lasombrs
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The only person he currently sees is an OT she just happens to help him with speech too. She will be at the meeting I hope so hopefully she speaks up too. She has been on vacation so I havent been able to show it to her yet. We lose her the day he turns 3 though :(

Quoting dclocalmedia:

As a mom of two kids who went through their entire school careers on IEPs, I can tell you that anything that costs the district extra money (like OT) will be strongly resisted. You will have to provide proof that it's needed, ask for it, dig in your heels, and ask again.  Be prepared to escalate your request (or at least threaten to) but stay with the chain of command. Start by getting your evaluation papers together, make sure they clearly state a need for the therapy, and if possible, get a doctor to sign it. A developmental pediatrician is a parent's best asset and partner when you are seeking to get what your child needs.

BTW, both of my daughters ended up getting the PT and OT they needed at school.

lasombrs
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

He has hand tremors and only just learned to scribble. He has no clue how to work scissors. He uses two hands and gets nowhere close to the right motion. He doesnt hold crayons like pencils at all so i guess that would count as needing help with handwritting. He fists the whole crayon

Quoting jjamom:

My son receives speech, OT and PT. What kind of OT are you hoping to get? If it is oral motor work, you can include those under speech or OT, so if you don't have any luck getting OT back, you could fight to get that included as part of his speech goals. If it's more things like handwriting, cutting, coloring, stacking, etc and you feel he still needs the therapy, I would fight for it. Go in prepared with concrete samples (coloring, cutting, handwriting, etc) to show where he is lagging. Good luck!

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM

our school did OT , say at the meeting you also want OT

i.heart.myboys
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I haven't gone through this yet. When Austin goes to school he's going to be going to the special needs school. They said they will be offering both OT, PT, and ST (if he does need it)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WDWEditor
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Fight, fight, fight for what your child needs. Be polite but firm. Keep records. Get a three ring binder and file every letter they send you denying services and to hold IEP info. Sign up with your Office of Intellectual Disabilities so you have a caseworker who can give you some advice as well as an advocate. As someone else mentioned a developmental pediatrician or neurologist can be your best friend. Also as one person told me 'be the squeaky wheel.' (Of course I'm sure he regretted it when they made him head of special ed for my school district! LOL) I squeaked until my kids were out of school. You have to. Some schools try to get out of OT and insist your insurance company pay for it if it is not school related. I live in PA  just as a frame of reference, this may not be the case in other states.

Sstrong1310
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

When my daughter was in preschool, she received speech, OT and PT -   I have learned that the school will not provide these if you do not ask/demand it.  I just fought for months with the school board on getting my daughter transferred to a new school.   I would not take NO for an answer.

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN