Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Does anyone get any other services through the school besides speech? My son is just transitioning from early intervention to a preschool. He currently sees an OT and his last eval had a lot more then just speech to work on. I asked for a copy of our iep before we actually discuss it and put it in place at our meeting on tuesday and the school is only going to work on speech. Its pages and pages of working on speech, which he does need, but the OT looks to not be happening.

Is that common? How is he supposed to get this service now, where should I be looking to set this up to continue for him?

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-15):
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Quoting lasombrs:

I also was unsure how old your child was, until I noticed you mentioned turning 3. My son did do any of that at that age either, some of it is still a struggle now and he has always had OT. I would fight tooth and nail if they wanted to take it from him. Good luck.
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

all the above is great advice. THE MAIN THING IS NOT TO BACK DOWN.  keep track of everything the best  tip i got from our in home teacher ( yearsss ago) was to get a one of the plastic storage container, and folders- label them-one for doctors, ieps, ect. . also you can go to your school's dept of special education. if you don't like anything about the iep DO NOT SIGN IT. ot in school depends on the level.

lasombrs
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I have several 3 hole binders full of paperwork, like all his dr records and such. I plan to do one for the iep stuff too. I just only have our inital meeting and their speech review from them so far. Thanks for the advice ladies! It always seems to scare them when I bring the massive amount of paperwork I have amassed into the meetings. But then I am never without  record or something someone needs from me. Works greet with medicaid too lol

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Our school asked to look at the report our OT wrote and they'll give it to the school OT and they'll test him themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM

They have had the report for 2 months now and only evaluated him in speech again on their own. but even in that eval they mention some of the same things the OT does. Just dont ever say they will work on it. I think I am going to make copies and highlight what they say and pass it back out to them and ask why they can say (x,y,z) but then feel its not important enough to work on.

thats my current plan of attack i think....... it will probably change as the day goes on! I'm nervous :(

Quoting Mipsy:

Our school asked to look at the report our OT wrote and they'll give it to the school OT and they'll test him themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN