Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ds has been in swim class since he was 14 months old. We started with the classes right after he was dx'd with developmental dyspraxia and his neurologist suggested swimming. He is now 4.5 years old and still in the beginning classes. I am not complaining. I understand that it will take him longer to learn how to swim then a typical child. My dh and I are willing to keep the lessons going as long as it takes.
Well yesterday the head of the swimming program at our YMCA told me that our son will need to begin special needs private lessons. She said that he is not improving fast enough and that in the lessons he will get the "one on one" time he needs to improve. She told me once he makes some improvement he can go back to group lessons.
My dh thinks its a good idea. But I'm really sad. I feel like if he could have only made more progress he wouldn't need these private lessons.
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Replies (11-16):
letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I know this is hard to take , i find this in everything my son-12 tries to do , he is getting 1 on 1 martial arts class it takes him wayyyy longer to get things down and to remember things so he stays 1 on 1 how ever  long it will take,

its so frustrating for me and him and his instructer , just as it was in school pe class.

sayres
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Quoting Icesfire:

If it make you feel any better my 7 year old was in swimming lessen at 14 month and is what they call "normal" child. At 3 the say she need to be in one on one lessons and be 5 she was still in the one on one lessen. At 6 she toll me she don't like them and wand to stop we did because that what she wand.  How ever I know other children that had the one on one and wand back to group lessen with in a couple of month. Some children like defended sport the other  for Jessica she don't like swimming but she in 4 badge in Gymnastics and in billeted with the leading rule in last month play.  My point is the lack of learning may not have anything to do with the developmental dyspraxia but with his interested in swimming.  Dose he seem to like the class?

Thank you for your response. It is encouraging to hear how "typical" children handle issues in swimming. My son Tim LOVES swimming. For him it is really an issue of coordination and body awareness. It is great that your dd has an activity that she enjoys and that she is good at. That is something I really want for my son too.
sayres
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Quoting letstalk747:

I know this is hard to take , i find this in everything my son-12 tries to do , he is getting 1 on 1 martial arts class it takes him wayyyy longer to get things down and to remember things so he stays 1 on 1 how ever  long it will take,

its so frustrating for me and him and his instructer , just as it was in school pe class.

Thank you! It is hard to watch your child struggle. I'm glad to hear that your son is continuing with the martial arts even though they are difficult for him.
Icesfire
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting sayres:

Thank you for your response. It is encouraging to hear how "typical" children handle issues in swimming. My son Tim LOVES swimming. For him it is really an issue of coordination and body awareness. It is great that your dd has an activity that she enjoys and that she is good at. That is something I really want for my son too.

Well sine he love swimming I say the one on one would help him out. But to see of you can have him in both as he the group lessen would be grate in help he to scocial.   Good luck.

willysmama
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM

willy didn't do well in the group lessons either. To many distractions. But when i did the one on one lessons he picked it up much faster. And now he can do the group lessons and when we swim in the pool by ourselves he does great.

sayres
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting willysmama:

willy didn't do well in the group lessons either. To many distractions. But when i did the one on one lessons he picked it up much faster. And now he can do the group lessons and when we swim in the pool by ourselves he does great.

Thank you! I'm waiting for the Y to call me back about private lessons. It's really great to hear that Willy was helped by private lessons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)