Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Adhd behaviors vs sensory processing issues

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 11 Replies
I know a few of you have experience with ADHD & or sensory processing disorders. As you all know Cam has a neuropsychologist eval in August bc he is a bit hyper at times, can't stop fidgeting or chewing on things including his nails, & he has a short attention span for anything other than movies/tv.

Well lately he's added a few new strange behaviors to his list. He has been pulling fibers out of the carpet here & there, pulling huge hand fulls of grass up when he's in the yard, etc. He's also been tearing apart things. He'll ask my DH to make him a tent and not 2 mins later he will rip it down! He tears apart books still too & he's almost 7!?!?

Does any of this represent one or the other ladies? The eval is soon but I'm trying to brace myself and educate my husband for a possible dx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Idk. But here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM
That's a tough one. A lot of kids go through a destroying stage. But there is a line when it is normal stage vs sign of an issue. It could be sensory seeking and ut could be related to ADHD (though I'm not an expert on ADHDin behaviors alone ). I think you should definitely bring it up. Are you keeping a journal on all of the behavior s that concern you? If not, you should start one so they can see the frequency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Thx! I've been writing everything down. I'll keep up with it for sure & see how the eval goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM
My DD is similar. She is four. Has sensory issues and am almost certain she has adhd. Getting her to fall and stay asleep has been our biggest issue since birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sayres
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM
bump
CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Cam sleeps really well but he gets up super early. If we don't get him in bed at normal time bc we're out late or something he will even ask to go to bed! Then he's always up by 6 or 7 am.

Quoting shajdinyak:

My DD is similar. She is four. Has sensory issues and am almost certain she has adhd. Getting her to fall and stay asleep has been our biggest issue since birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Bump in need of info too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxxyMama1
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

This feels like SPD vs. ADHD - Forget the destructiveness of the behavior and just look at the behavior itself for a moment.  In fact, go outside and rip up some grass.   It's a combination of deep pressure and muscle flexing.  How to work with the behavior (vs. against it)....  Always give alternatives!

Your son is old enough to learn the differences between grass/flowers/plants and weeds.  What a wonderful lesson for him to learn and so when he needs to pull, let him pull weeds for you.

Get him some exercise bands.  You can get them in medical supply stores in boxes where you just cut off what you need.  Tie one end to a solid (like bolted down solid) object and let him pull at that. 

Find something to replace pulling the fibers.  A game that challenges pinchure fine motor activities (picking things up with the thumb and pointer finger).  Go to the carpet store and get some remenents and let him pull the fibers out of that instead. 

The thing with SPD is... the stimming behaviors change as your child grows.  My son was verbally stimming for a while.  He'd hum, then he moved on to hooting like an owl, then he learned to whistle so he'd whistle constantly, then he learned how to snap so he'd snap his fingers till they bled (literally) then he moved on to other ways of stimming.  Your job is to guide him to more appropriate avenues to fulfill his sensory needs.

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM

very well put foxxymama --

CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Thx for the input!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)