Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Sensory Processing Disorder?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is almost 3. He has a mild speech delay and behavioral/aggression issues. His therapist thinks he has a sensory processing disorder. What are your experiences? What helped best with the tantrums? Does your child self injure? Mine does. What helps reduce those behaviors? Currently my son is in birth to three where he recieves speech and social skills therapies. He sees a therapist at the local mental health center monthly....he's getting evaluations and assessments and I meet with therapist for parenting consultation. He's currently being evaluated for IEP so he can continue to recieve services when he outgrows birth to three (third birthday). 

Oh and anybody else know how frustrating and insensitive people can be? They look at me like he's "spoiled" and I'm a bad parent when he's having a fit. People make comments like they don't get how I can be a mental health proffessional myself and my son is how he is. I'm a children's case manager for 4-19 year olds at the local community mental health center. I'm going to graduate school to be a therapist. 

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lillady73
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

i totally understand what you are going through.  Your son sounds like my daughter at his age.  To this day she still has sensory issues and has a complete meltdown if she has to go anywhere that is noisy or crowded.  When my daughter has to go into situtation where she is likely to meltdown we allow her to take a comfort object with her.  This seems to help some she likes to carry one of mine or hubby's shirts with her it seems to calm her and gives her a sense of comfort.  As she has gotten older the tantrums have ceased some but we still get looks when she tantrums and I feel like a bad parent because I cannot control my own child.  She is alos on medications to help control her aggression.

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I love when i get the  "you should control that child" 

i have a 6 yr old whom has sensory issues along with tremors but an't for sure on what exactly is going on with him yet.  He goes back to the doctor next week.  BUT i totally know what u mean about how people think "such a brat"  or "spank that child"    We have lots of cool down periods in our house with our 6 yr old because sometimes he just totally zones out in his tantrums that he does become agressive.  

when i get those negative comments or looks i try to remember that i do the best i can for my son.  I am getting him the help that he needs and if someone can't understand that then its not up to them to judge me nor my child.   Then i hug him even more :)

CameronsMommy23
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand how insensative people can be for sure! I ignore them and walk away.

As for the SPD my son is being evaluated for that and ADHD soon. He doesn't have the behavioral issues so much as he has a short attention span & likes to chew on anything & everything and tear things apart too. He also asks the same question 30 times even after he gets the same answers and he will NOT stop no matter what redirection or other things you try. He also has no concept of personal space even thought he's almost 7. He will talk to people right in their faces at times and likes to touch people, even strangers.  I try to redirect all of these behaviors and am hoping the eval gives me some clarity as to what's going on. I hope your eval helps too!!!!!!

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Some people are just cruel. I use a sensory diet for my little guy I also do brushing therapy, plus many things I use a I compression vest plus aweighted vest helping him stay regulated is my number one priorty.
lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi first huge hugs and I am a social worker and yes my child use to have self-injurous behaviors and mainly it took a long time-and he at times may regress but not near as it was not even near--mainly I would redirect him with a preferred activity and try to ignore as much as can and I would get him those squishy balls to squeeze and or an old fashioned school bell to ring (with not a loud noise on it though) instead of pounding on the wall- I would very specific with him and step by step--I used pecs (and still use pecs) and have a schedule for him--I would make social stories for him re: whatever issue is going on--I will allow him have 2 or 3 choices and pick from there.  It don't matter what profession you are in--sometimes our kiddos need more help than we can give--that is awesome you are going to graduate school to be a therapist--just surround yourself around positive support and pretty much let the negativity in one ear and out the other (easier said than done)

Welcome to the group and yes I rambled-

Take Care and talk anytime!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Hugs mama!  People can be so rude and insensitive...I've witnessed that myself!  I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

You're doing the right thing with your child and only you know best!  I'm glad you're having him evaluated and set up for an IEP...that's the next step and you're on the right track!

Is your son being followed by a developmental pediatrician?

Nicholy10
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Currently he has a mental health therapist, a birth to three case manager, a speech therapist, an allergist, and a pediatrician. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  People can be so rude and insensitive...I've witnessed that myself!  I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

You're doing the right thing with your child and only you know best!  I'm glad you're having him evaluated and set up for an IEP...that's the next step and you're on the right track!

i.heart.myboys
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with how people can be. I get this a lot. Hugs to you

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)