Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Packing food in their mouth and keeping it there

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

Today was not a good day for my 2yo. She started this morning with not talking, drooling and holding drool in her mouth. I brushed her teeth with a vibrating tooth brush and served her breakfast of dry cereal and a strawberry poptart. She packed ALL her food in her cheeks and sat there quietly, drooling. I had to scoop out her mouth in the trash :/...she goes on to do this at every single meal time and snack. Has anyone figured this one out? Is there something I can do? She won't eat anything today but i know shes hungry because she wants in her chair.

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I honestly don't know mama...my child doesn't eat much by mouth...he's fed through a g-tube primarily.  Hugs and good luck though!

Spectrummom311
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
My child is a stuffer. He will cram his mouth full of food but eats it. He has Sensory Processing Disorder and food stuffing is a common occurance in children with
SPD.
lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I use a pec strip--shows pictures of fork or spoon down, chew, swallow  --we go over it--especially years ago in the beginning--each and every step and now we don't need the strip unless an way overstimulating day or moment or week--and so I keep the strip close to the table--the next cupboard on the side-so easy reach--

lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Oh I also had a story book about pictures of food and about eating, how you eat, where you eat, when you eat, who you eat with , and what you eat--we made it personable to our son--he don't really use that anymore but in the beginning we did--

sammygrl77
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I remember that phase with Brooke. I would give her one bit at a time on her tray for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I honestly don't know mama...my child doesn't eat much by mouth...he's fed through a g-tube primarily.  Hugs and good luck though!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Maybe stand there and make sure she eats every bite on it's own. Even if you have to hand her every single bite and then have her open her mouth after every swallow. This is the only advise I can give.

Phucket
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This is what I have tried (should I put that in OP) I have tried this and she will keep that one bite in her mouth and not chew. It just sits there. But when I remove it she complains that she is hungry :/

Quoting natesmom1228:

Maybe stand there and make sure she eats every bite on it's own. Even if you have to hand her every single bite and then have her open her mouth after every swallow. This is the only advise I can give.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)