Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids
Anybody use it for their kids? I just discovered through an ot online that there is a ranch about 20 miles away that does it and funding available to pay for it if insurance wont. Thoughts?
my son has anxiety disorder-nos, hes being tested for spd (also testing to see if its caused by a yeast overgrowth) , and cannot understand the cues sent by his body. He cant tell if hes hungry or full. He cant tell hes too hot until he is on the verge of passing out. He cant tell when he has to go potty and leaks urine into his underwear. He has severe groin pain with no medical cause and cannot handle the feel of water on his face. He wont use crayons because of the way they feel. I could go on but you get the point :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Replies (11-16):
lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It is WONDERFUL!! for children with a variety and different special needs!!!  My son has been in it for 7 years--it has taught him how to sit up taller and with his disruptive behavior disorder --has helped ALOT!!  It has also helped him socially and he also is very sensitive and helped him with that--I truly recomend it!!  My son going back in it in October--he had a big growth spurt and hard for walkers/trainers to handle him --getting him on and off horse-now they are getting a lift this month (though this session already started) and next one in October for a month and a half and so he is going to do that one--he has not gone since Fall of 2011  --but he wants to and now they are able to assist him more--it is funny when he first started they did not have a ramp (my son in a wheelchair) and now they have a ramp and now they are getting a lift-they get this all through volunteers and grants and serve so many more kids--He is and I am so excited he can start again in October--I just talked to the Instructor last week!!  Oh I know in this area the children have to be 6 years old to start.  My son start at age 12.5 years old.  We travel 45 minutes to get to his horse therapy and it is once a week and SO worth it!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks ladies.  We are working on getting his first session set up!

lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Awesome!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

thanks ladies.  We are working on getting his first session set up!

ashleywheeler13
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Lilyan goes to reins of life. And she loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayjamhay3
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Haley does this and LOVES it! Shes made great progress with it!

birdwatcher01
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

My son also has anxiety disorder NOS and unoffically has SPD (our OT  couldn't use that diagnosis since it is not in DSM yet).  Because of SPD he is developmentally delayed is certain areas.  He also has trouble with going to the bathroom and is not potty trained yet (he's almost 4 and 1/2).  I've heard great things about hippotherapy like the other posts said.  Somehow the movement of the horse and all the other sensory stimulation helps children with SPD.  I would love to do this with my son (it would help his weak trunk muscles) but he is afraid of large animals.  I don't think he would go near a horse.  If your son would like it and your insurance covers it or you can get financial help, go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)