Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My 5 year old is very smart.  He does have most like spd, he has anxiety disorder, and he has a hard time understanding the cues from his body.

Our problem is food.  He is tall and skinny at 45" and 37 lbs so I don't worry about him getting "fat" or anything.  What I do worry about is the fact he will eat and eat until his stomach hurts.  He just doesn't know when to stop!  So I really have to monitor his food.  It was discovered at 18 months he would overeat but nobody could tell me why.  A pediatric GI just told me to not let him eat so much because he was hurting himself (he could eat a 6" subway sandwich and still ask for more).  At that point we established a food routine with him.  9:00 breakfast, 12:00 lunch, 3:00 snack, 6:00 dinner.  It has not changed since then.

The problem is I put a plate of food in front of him at mealtimes and it's "it's not enough!!  I need more!!  it's not enough food!!" (note he eats more than I do).  We get in the van and it's "I'm hungry!!  I need to eat!!  We didn't have snack yet!!" (right after he had 3 bowls of rice, beans, lettuce, and tomatoes last night and yes, he had a large snack at snack time).  No matter how much he has eaten the moment he sits in a vehicle it's a complete fit that he is starving and we are withholding food.  There's just certain times of the day or certain things that we do that trigger his "hunger" even though I know he is not actually hungry.  If I feed him more than he gets now sure enough his stomach starts to hurt.

I've tried rewards for waiting patiently for the next meal. I've tried schedules.  I've tried timers.  But nothing is working for him!  

How in the world do I stop this?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Replies (11-11):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Like I said I cant feed him more or his stomach starts to hurt.

Quoting KellyEileen50:

My thoughts are with you I actually have the opposite problem with Joshua. He has ADHD and takes meds. I can't get him to eat. Have you tried popcorn I keep a handled (bucket type container) that I keep popcorn in as his go to snack. My son is 5yrs also He is 45" tall and 43lbs. Doc. said last Mon. He is right on both. But I do understand the stress of the situation for you. good-luck. I know It's hard to try so hard and still not have the answers. HAng in there.angel mini

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)