Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Surgery/MRI/decannulation

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM
  • 7 Replies
Little man had surgery today (well, yesterday since its 3:20 am here.) they said his airway looks good, but not quite where they wanted it to be, so they trimmed some of the extra tissue. Dr said it would be a little sore, but not bad. (yea, right.) Then GI did an EGD scope and a biopsy and thinks he has some sort of esophogitus, the one from a food allergy- but we won't know for sure til the results come back. They got his MRI scheduled for today at 1 pm, and should be decannulating as soon as he recovers from the anesthesia they will use for the MRI.

So all day after they trimmed the extra tissue in his airway, all he wanted to do was sleep. But he kept getting interrupted. And he kept coughing and crying and throwing up. So he didn't eat anything more than diluted apple juice and about 6 oz of formula. He has slept about 4 hours since we got him up yesterday for the procedure. It's almost 3 in the morning now, almost a full 24 hour period.

He is so obviously uncomfortable, and we tried giving him some Tylenol. It worked earlier, letting him get those 4 Hours and 6 oz. Tried again when he woke up crying at 1 am. That resulted in a totally naked baby and TWO linen changes. So they gave him morphine through his IV. I've never seen him so loopy, but I know he's more comfortable than he's been this whole time. He's hanging out staring at his monitors and wiggling his toes, chewing his "mittens" lol. They have his hands wrapped in gauze because he wouldn't stop pulling on his cords and IV.

The doctor told me he wouldn't be in too much pain, it would just feel a little sore. Yea, sure, doc. I want to take my baby and snuggle him to sleep. I want him feeling better and back to his normal flirty self. I haven't gotten any smiles from him, and he has barely flirted with the nurses. Definitely not keeping up his reputation!

Anyway- I'm exhausted, I don't feel right trying to sleep when my baby isn't able to sleep as well. DH is sleeping in one of those hospital chair beds, but I told him I'll be going home for a shower and a few hours of sleep today, probably before the MRI. I literally lost my balance and almost fell earlier cleaning up one of the messes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hugs mama!  Thanks for the update and I'll be thinking about you guys today:)

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM

oh wow     , i sure hope things are better soon , i know hospital visits are rough but necessary , hang in there , i will be thinking about you guys , let us know how things are going , ok

willysmama
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

hope things are better soon. Poor little guy.! hope you got the rest you needed

grammajuie
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I know what you mean about wanting him in your arms and snuggling his to sleep.  How you can do that soon.

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM
I got some sleep this morning, and they have him in the MRI now. Everything is going well so far. Feeling much better this morning, just got a little overwhelmed. I normally do better with handling everything. Thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Glad to hear you are both doing better now. (((Hugs)) sending positive thoughts your way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Big hugs mama!! I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope he's feeling better and flirty soon! Get some rest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)