Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Advice please! Evaluation process from pre-k to k

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
This will be my ds's last year in special needs pre-k. I know that the district will test him in December to see if he qualifies for services when he get into kindergarten. I am wondering if I should get any private testing for him

If you have been through this processes please give me any advice. What do you wish you had know? Or what did you wish had gone differently?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VTHaven
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What are your feelings? Do you think he still requires or meets the needs for a special needs classroom? If you do...then I'd say do what you need to in order to ensure your comfort and his safety for K placement.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I'm not sure mama.  We are only in our 2nd year of special ed preschool, so not sure what I would do.  Do you have a developmental pediatrician that you can take your child to see and get evaluated that way?  Just to get another opinion?

sammygrl77
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I think a second opinion is helpful in the process. I haven't been through the transition yet, but with my oldest, having a doctor evaluate her was more helpful than the school's evaluation. Probably because she has a visual tracking disorder that the schools are not equipped to test for. Hopefully one of the other mommas has better advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I was so nervous for my son to make the switch from special ed preschool to kdg but it went amazingly smooth! They did testing and talked to me about him and then we had a meeting about his IEP and therapies. They ask your opinion on their plans for your kiddo and you have to sign off on it, (At least that's how it works here in Missouri) The only thing I would do differently is make my differences in opinion more apparent when I didn't agree with an IEP goal. Most of my issues where when the staff would set IEP goals for him to do things I knew he could already do. I thought that was a waste of time working on something he could do but they just hadn't seen it yet. Good luck to you!!

sayres
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Thank you all for your responses. We have not seen a developmental ped and I think I should get on that. My ds has a neurological condition called dyspraxia. He does have a neurologist and a dx. I believe my son will still need services, I'm just not sure what bucket they will put him in. The labels change when entering kindergarten.
jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM
We did all of the testing. I have major issues with it's authenticity, to be honest. My son was tested by a psych he had never met and he has significant speech delays. He was not compliant with her (combo of not knowing her and having not slept well the night before). His numbers came out lower than I believe they really are. They even noted in his IEP and testing paperwork that the true numbers may be higher because of these factors. I didn't even think to have private testing done, but it may be beneficial. It may have provided a different perspective on my son. I will have to keep that in mind if he is retested in the future!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellyEileen50
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Well we are still in the process but I did have pschological testing done thru his pediatrition's office . The school system did test, but I'm going thru his doc. for diagnosis. At this point Joshua Mykal has been diagnosed with ADHD & ODD. We also need to go thru genetic testing(to be done at UNC Chaple Hill, NC.) for possible Autism or Mosacism. My best experience and advice would be to work with your child's ped. We are fortunate to have a great one. Best of luck.hugsKelly and Josua Mykal

sayres
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you both for your perspective. I plan to set up our own testing. I also might bring in an advocate. I have a little time :)
mendezliana
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

i GOT AN ADVOCATE  WHICH I WISH i WOULD HAVE GOTTEN FROM THE BEGINNING OF THIS PROCESS.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I wish I could offer some advice. Here, there is no difference. My son was in a special needs pre-k class and he stayed in the same class when he went into kindergarten. They just did more inclusion with kindergarten children.

His school didn't offer special needs programs past kindergarten, so he switched schools (they searched for the best one in my area for me). No additional testing. Nothing different. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)