Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Special Needs Classroom

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

Since our school likes to be in the dark ages, and refuses to train parapros to work with HFA kids in the Gen Ed setting, their solution is this:

A Self Contained Classroom for 10 kids, with 1 Trained Teacher and 2 Trained Parapros.  The idea behind this classroom is unique - it is a Transition, not an End All.  

This classroom is designed to help kids learn how to adapt into Gen Ed.  It will be a controlled Sensory Envirnment, while giving the kids feedback every 40 min, with a fresh start and a chance to turn it around.  No carry over and no "tank, cuz why should I try".  There is a recovery room, two sky lights, barrier free desks and bouncy seats, carpet and a smart board.  There will be technology and visual helps.  They will have recess and lunch with peers (with parapro) and also have art, music and gym (if those arent a trigger).  They will be taught at their level as well - not their grade.  This is a huge plus (Mike was bored the last two years)

Once a child has done well, they will be integrated into Gen Ed with a Parapro, and given the chance to leave if they are feeling overloaded.  They can ask for help and it will be responded to. 

The eventual result is full time Gen Ed without the parapro.  

The SE director was trying to sell it hard.  I dont trust her as far as I can throw her.  If her mouth is open, she is lying.  The principal, however has her heart in the right place.  She wants this to be different.  She wants to help the "square pegs that dont fit into round holes".  So we will see.  

Since this is a sensory controlled environment (bathroom is even in the hall, and it is a private bath, not a "gang bathroom") Mike should thrive.  I am hoping this teacher will spot the ASD (since his other one couldnt even tho she emailed me about characteristics).  I am hoping he learns positive behaviours, not more negative ones.  We will see.  

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck with it! It sounds similar to the program my son is in, but a bit different. We have been very happy with it.
VTHaven
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

This sounds refreshing ! I hope it all goes well!

lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Hope all goes well!

sammygrl77
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM
I hope it works well. It sounds like a great classroom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM
I hope it goes great for him!! Let us know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Hoping it goes well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:48 AM
That sounds wonderful!! I hope it goes well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ESER
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I wish there was something like this for my little man. They won't seperate him even though he has text book ADHD with the rages and everything, he also has a learning disorder.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Sounds like a great plan mama!  Good luck!

girl_incognito
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as they are not going to be in self contained forever, it sounds like a really good plan. I wish something of this nature would have been available for my kiddo back whne he was younger. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)