Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Since our school likes to be in the dark ages, and refuses to train parapros to work with HFA kids in the Gen Ed setting, their solution is this:

A Self Contained Classroom for 10 kids, with 1 Trained Teacher and 2 Trained Parapros.  The idea behind this classroom is unique - it is a Transition, not an End All.  

This classroom is designed to help kids learn how to adapt into Gen Ed.  It will be a controlled Sensory Envirnment, while giving the kids feedback every 40 min, with a fresh start and a chance to turn it around.  No carry over and no "tank, cuz why should I try".  There is a recovery room, two sky lights, barrier free desks and bouncy seats, carpet and a smart board.  There will be technology and visual helps.  They will have recess and lunch with peers (with parapro) and also have art, music and gym (if those arent a trigger).  They will be taught at their level as well - not their grade.  This is a huge plus (Mike was bored the last two years)

Once a child has done well, they will be integrated into Gen Ed with a Parapro, and given the chance to leave if they are feeling overloaded.  They can ask for help and it will be responded to. 

The eventual result is full time Gen Ed without the parapro.  

The SE director was trying to sell it hard.  I dont trust her as far as I can throw her.  If her mouth is open, she is lying.  The principal, however has her heart in the right place.  She wants this to be different.  She wants to help the "square pegs that dont fit into round holes".  So we will see.  

Since this is a sensory controlled environment (bathroom is even in the hall, and it is a private bath, not a "gang bathroom") Mike should thrive.  I am hoping this teacher will spot the ASD (since his other one couldnt even tho she emailed me about characteristics).  I am hoping he learns positive behaviours, not more negative ones.  We will see.  

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-19):
Hottubgodess
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Thanks ladies. I hope this is what it was sold as.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkmomma06
by Angie on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My son and daughter are both in self contained classrooms...We have been lucky so far with good results....He is a senior this year, but he can stay in there until he is 21...He will always have to have someone watching him when he is away from me.My daughter isnt as delayed as my son is, but she is borderline.....They both go to mainstream classes too.

Good luck!

sheila5745
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Since our school likes to be in the dark ages, and refuses to train parapros to work with HFA kids in the Gen Ed setting, their solution is this:

A Self Contained Classroom for 10 kids, with 1 Trained Teacher and 2 Trained Parapros.  The idea behind this classroom is unique - it is a Transition, not an End All.  

This classroom is designed to help kids learn how to adapt into Gen Ed.  It will be a controlled Sensory Envirnment, while giving the kids feedback every 40 min, with a fresh start and a chance to turn it around.  No carry over and no "tank, cuz why should I try".  There is a recovery room, two sky lights, barrier free desks and bouncy seats, carpet and a smart board.  There will be technology and visual helps.  They will have recess and lunch with peers (with parapro) and also have art, music and gym (if those arent a trigger).  They will be taught at their level as well - not their grade.  This is a huge plus (Mike was bored the last two years)

Once a child has done well, they will be integrated into Gen Ed with a Parapro, and given the chance to leave if they are feeling overloaded.  They can ask for help and it will be responded to. 

The SE director was trying to sell it hard.  I dont trust her as far as I can throw her.  If her mouth is open, she is lying.  The principal, however has her heart in the right place.  She wants this to be different.  She wants to help the "square pegs that dont fit into round holes".  So we will see.  

Since this is a sensory controlled environment (bathroom is even in the hall, and it is a private bath, not a "gang bathroom") Mike should thrive.  I am hoping this teacher will spot the ASD (since his other one couldnt even tho she emailed me about characteristics).  I am hoping he learns positive behaviours, not more negative ones.  We will see.  

I really wish you well. We had a class room put into play for 5 kids who were on the spectrum. My child started the goal and we all attended classes. Which was to teach all of us how to deal with the kids in their own wasy, since I am sure you know each one of those kids have their own way of doing things and getting things done. I had problems the 2nd year, There was 1 teacher and 1 aid. Then added another kid which is against the law. (only 5 kids permitted) so we were told from the beginning. It was hard to see my child go out for recess and lunch with the other kids, she had no support. Other kids chased her to get her away from them, then when she thought they wanted to play with her, she chased them back, I found out when she did that she was stood on the wall for almost the whole recess. So I started going to the school. Which made it hard on my child cuz she wanted to come home with me. I am not saying any of this to start anything or scare anyone. But when I talked to the teacher about it, she got really snotty with me. I too thought our princple was on board with me. Found out I was wrong. I saw several things that got my boat. I went to the super, he did straighten a few things out for me, but not for long.

They sent my child out to a special needs school, instead of putting her in our Middle school. Said she would get lost, not be able to handle it. So we checked out both Middle school and special needs school. she would have gotten lost in the Middle school, they were using caculators, My child had never done that before (we are doing them now..) So we visited the Special needs school. It's not the right place for her but what do we do? Second year she is there, she started regression. She had been talking, she isn't now. She was potty trained, she could almost dress herself. She doesn't do any of that now.They took speech away, no PT because that school didn't have stairs like we do at home. So we pulled her and now we are home schooling. I am not saying I made the best or right choice, but if she starts to talk again and learn to dress her self again. Then that is better than any education she could get any where else!!

Ok enough, sorry this is so long. I just wanted you to know what we went through. We believed our school system wanted the best for my child. We feel all they wanted was the money.. Take care everyone and have a wonderful day..

Hottubgodess
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing.  

I was pushing for a full time parapro.  Our school refuses to do this, it is much easier to put a kid somewhere and deal with them as a behaviour problem.  

Last year, Mike spent almost his entire 2nd half of the year in the hall, ISS or finally put in the SE teacher's room full time (she is only a part time teacher).  The classroom at one of the other elementaries where they put the EI kids is "the bad kids room". They never come out. 

I will be watching, and supporting.  And WATCHING.  I have until Feb to file three reports to the state (a teacher who verbally abused me at a cub scout event, her son was one of my scouts, and she wasnt even Mike's teacher, Mike's teacher and the school for volating FERPA (Privacy Laws)).  So I have an ace that I hope I dont have to use.  I am angry at GEN ED teachers for not having any sympathy and understanding.  :( My next step is to push the govt in our state to push for training for all GEN ED teachers to spot and refer.  We seem to have the "we dont see it" complex at our school. 

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I really wish you well. We had a class room put into play for 5 kids who were on the spectrum. My child started the goal and we all attended classes. Which was to teach all of us how to deal with the kids in their own wasy, since I am sure you know each one of those kids have their own way of doing things and getting things done. I had problems the 2nd year, There was 1 teacher and 1 aid. Then added another kid which is against the law. (only 5 kids permitted) so we were told from the beginning. It was hard to see my child go out for recess and lunch with the other kids, she had no support. Other kids chased her to get her away from them, then when she thought they wanted to play with her, she chased them back, I found out when she did that she was stood on the wall for almost the whole recess. So I started going to the school. Which made it hard on my child cuz she wanted to come home with me. I am not saying any of this to start anything or scare anyone. But when I talked to the teacher about it, she got really snotty with me. I too thought our princple was on board with me. Found out I was wrong. I saw several things that got my boat. I went to the super, he did straighten a few things out for me, but not for long.

They sent my child out to a special needs school, instead of putting her in our Middle school. Said she would get lost, not be able to handle it. So we checked out both Middle school and special needs school. she would have gotten lost in the Middle school, they were using caculators, My child had never done that before (we are doing them now..) So we visited the Special needs school. It's not the right place for her but what do we do? Second year she is there, she started regression. She had been talking, she isn't now. She was potty trained, she could almost dress herself. She doesn't do any of that now.They took speech away, no PT because that school didn't have stairs like we do at home. So we pulled her and now we are home schooling. I am not saying I made the best or right choice, but if she starts to talk again and learn to dress her self again. Then that is better than any education she could get any where else!!

Ok enough, sorry this is so long. I just wanted you to know what we went through. We believed our school system wanted the best for my child. We feel all they wanted was the money.. Take care everyone and have a wonderful day..

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

WDWEditor
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I'd be concerned about how long they were going to be self contained. Schools have a bad habit of not integrating kids even once they are able to handle it. It's easier for them if the kids stay in a self contained classroom. Our district went so far as to move them all to a trailer behind the high school. (to be fair,the school was over crowded and something had to move, but it just seemed like just more segregation!

kalista
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My son just started kindergarten. He's in an sdc class designed to facilitate transition to inclusion by third grade. I was initially opposed to a special Ed class. One week in, he is so happy and thriving. I couldn't ask for a better classroom for him. Hope yours works out too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

This is a concern of mine as well, and I will be watching the progress closely.  The previous class (it was at another school in our district, known as the "bad boys room" for K thru 5th) was this way - kids went in and never came out.  :(  

Spending the money they have on this room, the chairs, the desks, the remodel work and wiring for a smart board (most teachers dont have a smart board in our district) tells me this is different.  

As for putting them out back in a trailer...how the heck did they get away with that???

Quoting WDWEditor:

I'd be concerned about how long they were going to be self contained. Schools have a bad habit of not integrating kids even once they are able to handle it. It's easier for them if the kids stay in a self contained classroom. Our district went so far as to move them all to a trailer behind the high school. (to be fair,the school was over crowded and something had to move, but it just seemed like just more segregation!

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

my school has this same thing

Hottubgodess
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM
What is your experience with it?

Quoting letstalk747:

my school has this same thing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)