Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Absent seizures *updated*

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM
  • 29 Replies

For the mommas who have experience with seizures, and firsthand knowledge of absent, what are the symptoms? Jacob is doing all these new things, and one is where he lays motionless staring into space, even me calling his name, and trying to get his attention doesn't work.

UPDATE:

We see neurology next week, we had to make a little bit of a later appt, because she is 4 hours away. But according to our pedi, yes Jacob is having absence seizures. He didn't think Jacob would need medicine, but we'll see what neurology says.

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedcynic
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Is he autistic? That is very normal for autistic children. Heck, with my Asperger's I find myself gone at times and don't even realize it.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM

No he has Cerebral Palsy and a brain malformation.

Quoting jadedcynic:

Is he autistic? That is very normal for autistic children. Heck, with my Asperger's I find myself gone at times and don't even realize it.

gma12.1
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Lina has seizures. She has all 3 of the types that are talked about. Mostly she has the absent seizures they last from 10 seconds and can go up mostly they are under a minute. When the light switch turns back on they normally don't remember anything. For the longest time when Lina had an absent seizure she would vomit as she came out of it. She is on medication because she has had severe ones to. Since getting on medication she is doing really good.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ds can't throw up, because of his surgery. So it's hard for me to know. He's non-verbal also.

Quoting gma12.1:

Lina has seizures. She has all 3 of the types that are talked about. Mostly she has the absent seizures they last from 10 seconds and can go up mostly they are under a minute. When the light switch turns back on they normally don't remember anything. For the longest time when Lina had an absent seizure she would vomit as she came out of it. She is on medication because she has had severe ones to. Since getting on medication she is doing really good.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Does he lay down every time it happens?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Well he doesn't move. He's either on the floor or in a seat. He can't walk or crawl yet.

Quoting Mipsy:

Does he lay down every time it happens?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM
The last times I've noticed he was laying on the floor on his playmat. The first time he was just staring at the ceiling not moving, breathing slowly. The second time, it was like he was looking at me so I was smiling and talking to him, waving my hand. Then a few seconds later he blink. Looked at me and smiled. He always smiles when I make eye contact and talk to him. It's like he wasn't there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MauiStylinMommy
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Yes..Elena is the same way. She either also lies down or is in her car seat. Her absent seizures last anywhere from 15 seconds to about a minute or so..she doesn't vomit though like the PP posted. She is on meds for her seizures and they are slowly improving. While she is in her seizures she isn't "there" and there is no way to bring her out of it..its almost like she is zoned out. She is also non verbal with a whole bunch of other issues but her seizures are one of the more difficult things we are challenged with. Good luck Mama!

sahm2shaina
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM
It sounds like your son is having absent seizures, my Joseph has them. I would talk to your sons neurologist. My son is on keppra twice a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

the way you described it sounds like what I do -people tell me-if I have an absent seizure-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN