Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Hi! Adoptive family looking for support.

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Everyone!

Very happy to have found this site. We were just matched with a beautiful 3yr old in Florida through Foster Care. She received her kidneys last year and the Dr's have given her the medical 'all clear' that she can find her new family, we just found out Friday that was us!! Until she's formally adopted we'll have to call her LiL L on here since we're not allowed to share her name or pics. Small background info - Lil L had renal failure at 11days old from 1st mom's cocaine use; up until transplant she was 20+hrs dialysis. She's been very delayed since she was placed in a foster home with 5 high needs Autistic boys who are non-verbal,  didn't interact with her at all and all are tube fed. Poor little thing is going to join our bustling home with 4 active kids ages 14-1yrs who have been waiting a year for her to join us; her little brain will be swimming - LOL!

We were just cleared by CPS after learning to administer her 11 daily meds & 4 tube feeds. It all seemed so overwhelming and we're so afraid of screwing something up. I think the scariest part is that in one month we'll be flying out to pick her up and after that she's all ours - her life is in our hands. We have to learn to be in tune to every possible change from her BP, temps, skin changes, etc., on top of getting to know a 3yr old who doesn't know us from the neighbor. Plus they want us to start oral feeds with her in hopes to have her weaned from the G-tube by the time she reaches Kindergarten.

So basically, any comforting words for 2 parents who are still in shock? Look forward to meeting everyone!

Lisa

Do you know of an adoption situation?  Check out our blog:

http://ourelastichouse.blogspot.com/

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StA123C
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM
If you're willing to put the effort in (and it sounds like you are) then it will work out. You can do it. I'm a single mom who adopted a SN child at 21. My support system quickly left after everyone realized how much a SN really needs, so I do everything 100% alone. If I can, you and your husband can certainly do it! Congrats on your little girl! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations on your pending adoption!!!

When you think about all the little parts and pieces that you have to remember and be on top of, it's TOTALLY overwhelming... But when it's your child, it quickly becomes second nature. You and your family will adjust to your new "normal" and you will barely have to think about the meds ad tube feeds because it becomes second nature! Sending love and positive thoughts for an easy transition!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Welcome to the group!! Congrats on your pending adoption.

lasombrs
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Congrats!!! So glad you got approved!! You guys can do it, and if you think any of our older children can help its good to teach them the signs to watch for as well. Find local support groups too :)

sayres
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Welcome to the group! Congratulations on your pending adoption.
sammygrl77
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Congratulations on your pending adoption and welcome to the group!

It all seems overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it in no time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywheeler13
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Awe congrats. That's awesome!!!!!! I was adopted at 17 yrs old, alOng with my four siblings two who are special needs by our foster mom. Takes special ppl to take on foster kids and adopt. Welcome to the group. And every special needs partent is nervous the first few weeks but take one day at a time and you guys will be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Welcome and congrats mama!

FoxxyMama1
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Congrats on the new addition!  We adopted our son from Guatemala and he's the center of our world.  I'm sure your daughter will love her siblings attention and love.  I do read a blog that you may get some wonderful tips from http://www.lastmom.com/.  She parents in a "trauma parenting" style which works well with children who had been exposed to drugs and may help you understand behaviors she may exhibit, especially at first. 

lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Welcome!! I adopted our son at the age of 12 yrs --talk to me anytime!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN