Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Special needs sports

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 18 Replies
I am SO excited!!!! I have signed my 4 year old up for special needs bowling. I wanted to do soccer but it doesn't fit with his schedule. There is a program near me that tries to get special needs children into sports activities. My son has dyspraxia and motor planning and coordination are very hard for him. I'm so excited that he will have someone who will have patience and will help him to participate. I just want him to have a chance to enjoy physical activities. I'll update at the end of the month when he starts.
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
willysmama
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Hope he has a great time. I know willy does when he plays

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

That's great! I think out local special olympics meets once a week for bowling in town.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM
How awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sayres
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Thank you everyone. I'm really excited for him.
momgirlsx2
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope he enjoys it. Our dd has dyspraxia as well. She is doing Special Olympics and loves it. She does bowling, track and field and corn hole. It is probably the best thing we have done for her out side of OT/PT.

mammakittykat
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so awesome. I want to get my SN twins into a bowling program. They are both obsessed with bowling and can/will make a bowling set out of just about anything. It is really the perfect sport for them because Johnathan uses a wheelchair and Glennie has coordination issues and it is a sport that can easily be adapted for them.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Very cool!  I hope to get Brady in this as he gets older:)

sayres
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Quoting momgirlsx2:

Hope he enjoys it. Our dd has dyspraxia as well. She is doing Special Olympics and loves it. She does bowling, track and field and corn hole. It is probably the best thing we have done for her out side of OT/PT.

That is wonderful! I wasn't sure that a child with dyspraxia would qualify for the special olympics. I'm glad to hear that they do. How long has your dd participated in sports?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)