Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Help?!!!! My almost 4 week old...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM
  • 17 Replies

I think something is wrong...or it feels like it to me....or I'm just paranoid. He is my second child. My first is my SN kid (ODD, SPD, asthma, was born at 36 weeks). This baby was born at 35 weeks. He's fussy all the time, almost like he's always hungry, but then he don't eat? He'll suck on a paci for a while, but then you got to change paci brands when he starts fussing (different nipple) or he won't take it back. He is always fussy, rarely sleeps. He's not gassy, and it's not the colic like my older boy had. He pees ALOT. I have to change his diaper 1-2 times before a feeding, 0-1 time in the middle of a feeding, 1-2 times following a feeding, and 1-3 times between feedings.... otherwise the diaper overflows with pee, and honestly he fusses more with a wet diaper. He eats every 2 1/2-4 hours, generally he fusses at 2 hours, but I try to get to 3 hours, or he just hardly eats. If he makes it to 3 or 4 hours he will eat 3-4 ounces. If he only gets to 2 hours he eats 2-2 1/2 ounces. When he's fussy cuddles, rocking, and all that don't help. Nothing helps not gripe water either.

I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong? Like diabetic? That runs all over my and my husband's family especially juvenile diabetes and hypoglycemia. Thoughts? I plan to talk to the doctor at his 1 month check up next week.  

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chi_moma
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Pyloric stenosis maybe? Sounds like he's in some kind of discomfort or pain. Does he spit up much?

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Never spits up...wierd cuz my first did alot.

Quoting chi_moma:

Pyloric stenosis maybe? Sounds like he's in some kind of discomfort or pain. Does he spit up much?

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Even if he never spits up, he could still have acid reflux. My DS had it bad as an infant and since he never spit up, I didn't think it was it either. His pediatrician had been out of the country for a few months and when he returned I called him and he said "bring him in, I think be may have acid reflux" s I said "no, he never spits up". Well he did have it, it would come up into his throat and burn and then go back down. My poor little guy, It go much better a few days after starting meds but it still a long time to fully heal,

I am unsure about the urinating. I would have the Pediatrician look into it. They may even want you to weigh his diapers so they can see just how much he is producing (they did this when my son was in the hospital for jaundice. Simple blood work could probably rule out diabetes. Good luck.
Nicholy10
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I will definitely talk to the doctor about both. If nothing else maybe it's the formula we are using? He's gaining weight good, especially for being preemie, so that means he's getting enough nutrition, right? Can he pee "too much" and cause himself to be dehydrated? How would I know if he was dehydrated at this young? 

Quoting jjamom:

Even if he never spits up, he could still have acid reflux. My DS had it bad as an infant and since he never spit up, I didn't think it was it either. His pediatrician had been out of the country for a few months and when he returned I called him and he said "bring him in, I think be may have acid reflux" s I said "no, he never spits up". Well he did have it, it would come up into his throat and burn and then go back down. My poor little guy, It go much better a few days after starting meds but it still a long time to fully heal,

I am unsure about the urinating. I would have the Pediatrician look into it. They may even want you to weigh his diapers so they can see just how much he is producing (they did this when my son was in the hospital for jaundice. Simple blood work could probably rule out diabetes. Good luck.

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Yeah, I don't know the answer of whether he could be urinating too much. For dehydration, look for no tears, (usually no urinating), dry lips/mouth...

Hope you get some answers soon.

Quoting Nicholy10:

I will definitely talk to the doctor about both. If nothing else maybe it's the formula we are using? He's gaining weight good, especially for being preemie, so that means he's getting enough nutrition, right? Can he pee "too much" and cause himself to be dehydrated? How would I know if he was dehydrated at this young? 

Quoting jjamom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Thinking of you and above moms gave good advice and hope you get answers soon from doctor!  Can they get him in earlier?

JenaSmith
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I would just call the dr.  Does he arch his back allot at his feedings or after?

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Nope. He is generally the most content right after a feeding.

Quoting JenaSmith:

I would just call the dr.  Does he arch his back allot at his feedings or after?

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Tried, but no, the next opening is the one I have scheduled.

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Thinking of you and above moms gave good advice and hope you get answers soon from doctor!  Can they get him in earlier?

mali321
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

My ds had similar issues when he was little. What ended up working for him was a over the counter called colic calm. You can buy it at a drug store like CVS. Its all natural, and it worked. His ped told me to try it, (gripe water didn't work on him). And that worked. I would definitely bring it up at his visit if you don't get in sooner. Gook luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)