Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

One deaf parent one Hearing parent.

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is our first child and my husband is deaf and i am hearing! He lost his hearing about 2 1/2 years ago. We have gone thru asl classes to learn sign language and we are up to par with communication. We have MILLIONS of concerns and questions on how to raise a child in the house with one deaf parent, what tools are out there for us to use, etc. This is all VERY new to us and we are open to all suggestions.

Thanks In Advance,

Shan

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group Shan!!  How old is your child?  

That is awesome you have communication in sign language so I would just make sure start as early as you can with your child-with sign language and communicating verbally because then there will be a very well cohesion in the parenting and the child will not be confused for the child will also know both sign language and verbal communication 

JenaSmith
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just do sign language but encourage talking first. Cause some children will take to that and have speech isses later. Thats what a theraphist told me once. But my son is deaf so were starting to learn asl.

mammakittykat
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Teach your child to sign early.

Also there are sound sensors that you ocan buy that will flash a lamp if it detects sounds. (for if your husband is watching baby alone and the baby cries).

Something like these : http://www.harriscomm.com/index.php/hc-cabx.html

http://www.harriscomm.com/index.php/hc-babymon2.html

Some sensors your husband can wear and it vibrates.  Another suggestion is take a deaf culture class if you haven't already taken one. (Sometimes they are offered in conjunction with ASL classes. Those classes tend to give you insight into different assistive technologies that will help in your day to day life. Hope that helps some. My younger cousin is deaf and I took ASL in high school and learned a lot about deaf culture and etiquette.

mammakittykat
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

This is a set up that I was looking for http://www.harriscomm.com/index.php/hc-visit-vp3.html

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Welcome. You can start out with baby sign, and then transition into full sign language, but also encourage talking. Kids learn quicker, so they can pick up a second language no problem.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies have some great ideas:)

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Welcome to the group!!

CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Welcome! I think the vibrating sensor and/or light sensor are great ideas. Kids also seem to do well with learning signs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stHaleBaby
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I am 4 months preg, child not born yet but I am big on planning :)

1stHaleBaby
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions and for embracing me with open arms. We will look into the sites and will make preparations for our bundle of joy... THANKS A MILLION

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)