Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Out of control...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok a while back Ethan my oldest was having trouble in school. Well after talking to his teachers and actually getting some of mine involved. I also started a sticker chart. He has done really good and is completing his homework everyday.

NOW he is starting to back talk. slam doors. throw fits. I dont get it. I know he is very hyper and when we cant understand what he is saying at times it can be fustrating.

On the 25th we have a app to have the school evaluate him on his speech so he can start theraphy there at the school. He was in theraphy a yr prior to school. I also want them to see if he has adhd.  I have to constantly get onto him and tell him no and why. He wears me down. Now he is starting to hit at people too. Yesterday kicked my mom and the shook conners carseat when he was in it. He sees no wrong in what he does and thinks he is in charge. He is only 5!

Any advice on how i can get him to calm down and stop being so mean and back talking. He has always been hyper and never wanting to listen but the mean part is worrying me.

Also he has to constanly tell everyone in the house i love you and give them kisses. im talking like every 15min he does this. I love it cause i think its sweet but it is repeating allot and he gets mad if i dont let him kiss us.

I just dont get what could be wrong.  Dr says he is fine another says could be sensory issues. and now teacher says maybe adhd. I just want whats best

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StA123C
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I would ask your pediatrician to reccomend a psych eval maybe. My daughter is 7 and has a ton of psych issues that make her act out ALOT. Not saying your son necessarily does, but I think talking to pedi is a good place to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I would talk to your doctor. As far as the behavior, you need to give him constant conquences and stick to them. Time outs, taking away favorite toys, no TV. He has to know that you mean business and you are the boss.

CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I'd ask for an evaluation from a developmental pediatrician. He's too young for an ADHD diagnosis though. That usually isn't until age 6 or 7 that they can diagnosis it. Have you ever tried a behavioral therapist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM
We do all of those things. I done took his tv out twice. I have taken his favorite toys. It does not phase him about anything we do. Were now going to try just ignoring the bad behavior and back talking to see how he responds.

Quoting natesmom1228:

I would talk to your doctor. As far as the behavior, you need to give him constant conquences and stick to them. Time outs, taking away favorite toys, no TV. He has to know that you mean business and you are the boss.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

I'd ask for an evaluation from a developmental pediatrician. He's too young for an ADHD diagnosis though. That usually isn't until age 6 or 7 that they can diagnosis it. Have you ever tried a behavioral therapist?

I got a app. with his dr for oct 3rd so i will see then. Its just it took 3yrs befor they would even admit him for speech theraphy.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Good luck with the appointment and I hope you get some help/answers...hugs mama!

Quoting JenaSmith:

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

I got a app. with his dr for oct 3rd so i will see then. Its just it took 3yrs befor they would even admit him for speech theraphy.

cueballsmom
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM
Switch from stickers to coins. Like the ones you can get cheap in the party isle at Walmart. Make him "pay" you for misbehavior, and you "pay" him for good behavior. It only works if he can "spend" his coins on treats once in a while though. It works with my Adhd 8 yo, my 7 yo, and my 3 yo.
i.heart.myboys
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I would talk to your doctor sweetie.

sammygrl77
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I hope you can get some answers from the doctors.

Part of it could be age. Those pesky developmental milestones can turn a sweet kid into a monster overnight. I had many moments with my oldest where I could have sworn aliens switch my child on me.

Every child is different with what they react to. Ignoring the behavior could be the answer. Everything you try, give it two weeks of consistency before trying something new. I like the idea above about reward/pay systems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That sounds like a neat idea maybe i can do both like stickers for homework and coins for at home behavior. Thanks allot for the idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)