Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

IEP Needed???

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son had an IEP since preschool for speech and fine motor. He was dismissed from it last year because of his improvements. He has adhd and Tourettes. Should he sill be on an IEP?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenaSmith
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Im not sure cause im new to this but know allot moms in here that will. My guess is that he should maybe just to be closely monitored. specially if he is having trouble in school or having a hard time focusing

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

http://www.ed-center.com/504

This breaks down the differences of a 504 plan vs and IEP. So maybe read over it, and your son may require one or the other.

brrmom81
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Thanks! I will look that up.

Quoting mandee1503:

This breaks down the differences of a 504 plan vs and IEP. So maybe read over it, and your son may require one or the other.

girl_incognito
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

How old is your child? Was he re-evaluated? Did the team come to the decision that his ruling was not correct?

They can't just dismiss a child from an IEP. They have to re-evaluate him and the data decides if he still qualifies

brrmom81
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

He is 9. They did re-evaluate him.

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

If the ADHD and Tourettes are not interfering with his ability to be successful in school and learn, then no he does not need an IEP. If they are hindering him in school, then an IEP or 504 could be needed, request he be re-evaluated in writing. 

mom2zachy122
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Nicholy10 is correct. An IEP is only provided if special instruction is necessary for academic achievement. A 504 plan is put in place when special education isn't warranted but certain modifications are determiwd necessary in the classroom (i.e. extra time, preferential seating, written directions, etc).

A child can be diamissed from an IEP anytime the Child Study Team is in agreement that it is no longer needed. Sometimes this is a result of re-evaluatuon and/or testing. Sometimes it's the result of successful mainstreaming. Sometimes a parent revokes permission. It's really an individual decision, made by the Child Study Team of which you as a parent play an important part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Great info...thanks!

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Nicholy10 is correct. An IEP is only provided if special instruction is necessary for academic achievement. A 504 plan is put in place when special education isn't warranted but certain modifications are determiwd necessary in the classroom (i.e. extra time, preferential seating, written directions, etc).

A child can be diamissed from an IEP anytime the Child Study Team is in agreement that it is no longer needed. Sometimes this is a result of re-evaluatuon and/or testing. Sometimes it's the result of successful mainstreaming. Sometimes a parent revokes permission. It's really an individual decision, made by the Child Study Team of which you as a parent play an important part.

i.heart.myboys
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You are awesome.

Quoting mandee1503:

sammygrl77
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
The ladies here are awesome with all their knowledge! Glad you got answers :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN