Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

progress reports!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
We are halfway through first quater. I got my 5 year old sons first kindergarten progress report. In it it reads that my son can only count to 9 orally, can recognize 2 shapes, recognize 5 letters and recognize 7 numbers. It also said that he has trouble listening, follow school and classroom rules and has trouble keeping his hands to himself. I told them at his iep meeting all of this. I told them that he gets over whelmed in large groups. When he gets overwhelmed he tends to touch other people, touch objects, not listen and act out ect. I explained that he has a hard time following directions, he has a hard time listening and that sometimes he will isolate himself if he gets too overwhelmed. I also expressed my concerns about his overall academic level. All they had to say was all his problems were speech related and the fact that he's still adjusting to kindergarten. I told them I felt it was more than that but they kept reassuring me it wasn't. Based on the progress report do you guys thinks it might be something more?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
willysmama
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

My son willy doesn't like showing people what he can do til he was comfortable enough with them. IF your son still has issues with the same things at report card time than i would question.

lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

You can always get an independent evaluation if needed-What are they doing for his speech?  

Kageegirl
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM
He is in the Reading 1 program and sees a language therapist. What I am concerned about with now is his behavior. I tried to explain the issues my son has regarding social interaction and his behavior in general. I explain that he has a hard time listening. Often to get his attention you have to repeatedly call him. He has a hard time following directions. Will often require dirctions repeated and in different ways, but will get frustrated easily by this. He gets overwhelmed in large groups. When overwhelmed he will start to act out. Touching other people and/or objects repeatedly, talking out of turn, talking very loud or very fast and not listening. He will sometimes talk or make noises to himself or make a lot of random off topic conversation when asked a question. Knowing all of this the teacher said she noticed a few of these but nothing bad. Well when I get his progress report she expressed that he is having a lot of trouble following classroom and school rules, trouble listening and following directions and can't seem to keep his hands and feet to himself. I am wondering why I am just now finding out about any of this. I do not want my child to be labeled as the trouble maker. I also don't want my child to suffer academically or otherwise because he's not getting the proper help he needs. I am at a complete loss on where to go from here. I have been dealing with these issues since he was 2 years old. They just seem to keep getting worse. Help! Advice! Am I overreacting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
willysmama
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Quoting Kageegirl:

He is in the Reading 1 program and sees a language therapist. What I am concerned about with now is his behavior. I tried to explain the issues my son has regarding social interaction and his behavior in general. I explain that he has a hard time listening. Often to get his attention you have to repeatedly call him. He has a hard time following directions. Will often require dirctions repeated and in different ways, but will get frustrated easily by this. He gets overwhelmed in large groups. When overwhelmed he will start to act out. Touching other people and/or objects repeatedly, talking out of turn, talking very loud or very fast and not listening. He will sometimes talk or make noises to himself or make a lot of random off topic conversation when asked a question. Knowing all of this the teacher said she noticed a few of these but nothing bad. Well when I get his progress report she expressed that he is having a lot of trouble following classroom and school rules, trouble listening and following directions and can't seem to keep his hands and feet to himself. I am wondering why I am just now finding out about any of this. I do not want my child to be labeled as the trouble maker. I also don't want my child to suffer academically or otherwise because he's not getting the proper help he needs. I am at a complete loss on where to go from here. I have been dealing with these issues since he was 2 years old. They just seem to keep getting worse. Help! Advice! Am I overreacting?

Have you considered maybe taking him to a behaviorist? When my son's tantrums were really bad we had to get a behaviorist cause i couldnt figure out how to handle them. I know there are other kids at the behaviorist's office that don't listen or follow directions really well. But the moms say they are improving

CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Our evaluation at the developmental peditrician seemed to open up a lot of doors for us. Have you been to one? Their opinion and diagnosis seems to have a high standing with schools and other clinics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kageegirl
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM
No We have not been to one. Last year We took him to the early childhood evaluation center through are school district. That who first diagnoised him. He was enrolled in the early education center where he received speech and launage help and ot. When he switched to kindergarten at the new school I feel like they aren't giving the kind of help he got at the old school and it shows. They are trying to treat him as normal as possible with little help. It doesn't seem to be working. I have no clue where to go from here. We do have childhood mental disablities that run in the family. I have 4 autistic cousins, a nephew with aspergers and a niece who is dyslexic.

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

Our evaluation at the developmental peditrician seemed to open up a lot of doors for us. Have you been to one? Their opinion and diagnosis seems to have a high standing with schools and other clinics.

I do know what I am talking about. I wish they would listen more and stop telling me it's just an adjustment period. He'll get over this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I think an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician would really be worthwhile. What was his diagnosis when he was evaluated with the school's center? I might be willing to give it a little more time, but probably not long. Just my opinion, but it sounds like something more than just an adjustment may be going on. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kageegirl
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM
He was labeled as hyperactive and impulsive. He was found to have some cognitive issues. Trouble following directions, fast, loud random speech, stuttering issues, trouble keeping his hands to himself, troubles waiting his turn ect. Not just one thing but a number of things.

Quoting jjamom:

I think an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician would really be worthwhile. What was his diagnosis when he was evaluated with the school's center? I might be willing to give it a little more time, but probably not long. Just my opinion, but it sounds like something more than just an adjustment may be going on. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM
But those things are more like symptoms, as opposed to a dx. A diagnosis would explain why he does those things. When you said hyperactive, do you mean ADHD, or did they say hyperactive? I'm not trying to be nosey, just wondering where there logic is coming from.

Quoting Kageegirl:

He was labeled as hyperactive and impulsive. He was found to have some cognitive issues. Trouble following directions, fast, loud random speech, stuttering issues, trouble keeping his hands to himself, troubles waiting his turn ect. Not just one thing but a number of things.

Quoting jjamom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kageegirl
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Directly in his iep evaluation it says he is implusive. Grabs at things, fidgets in his seat, ect. It also says that he is hyperactive. Has a hard time focusing on one task. Always asks what to do next or tries to do something before asked. Nowhere in the evaluation does it mention adhd. It does say he has a lack of cognitive flexibility and receptive launage skills are poor.

Quoting jjamom:

But those things are more like symptoms, as opposed to a dx. A diagnosis would explain why he does those things. When you said hyperactive, do you mean ADHD, or did they say hyperactive? I'm not trying to be nosey, just wondering where there logic is coming from.

Quoting Kageegirl:

Quoting jjamom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)