Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I had a dream I can remember pretty well lastnight that was my son was talking full sentences!

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM
  • 25 Replies

This makes me happy and sad --I woke up with like I had a full conversation with my son and then woke up and realized it was a dream-that is alright my son is awesome just the way he is and we do talk to each other-we totally understand each other most all the time though he talks in his own way

My son was talking full sentences --yep conversation me and him in the dream-

Do you moms ever have that or something else in your dreams that your child does but does not do in real life?

By the way my son is 19 years old and is non-verbal (technically-uses a dynavox (talk box) and adaptive signs and gestures and says a few single words like "mama" and "didi" (for daddy) and some others-

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thedathree
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM
that made me cry. My son is 11 and only sounds he makes is woohhgghh woogghh kindaa like a dog barking it reminds me of but he is just grunting over and over. He does laugh though and sometimes cry and does a pissed off sound like uuugghhhhh when he is mad. However no communication I have to bring the world to him. He likes some stuff but never seeks it out or picks toys up on his own. He sucks on his hands all the time and repeatedly hits musical baby toys. if I didn't switch them up or do other thiings he would just do that. Anyways I had a dream when he was a baby that I woke up and he was walking around and could see (he is blind and walks but just around the living room and with no purpose very unsteady. He wont seek me out or follow my voice). I was talking to my 9 yo about how the only dreams I usually remember are nightmares which I have a lot. She told me that in ALL of her dreams her brother can talk just like she can. But she can't remember what, just that he is doing everything that we do. I didn't think to ask if he was in diapers or could eat like us.
thedathree
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
oh at the time my son was about 2 1/2 and still could not even sit up on his own. He learned to stand when he was about 5 and then walk a little around 6 or 7. I'm so.lucky he can at all. He needs a special needs stroller for school and community but at least can walk a little for pleasure and to help get from point a to point b at home. I have to guide him by holding him from behind kinda and stearing his body where to turn but he does good doing that. Other people try to walk him somewhere and he doesn't do it with them like he does for me. I don't know why. I guess he must trust me a lot. I will say that to make me feel special.
lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Yes it is like your daughters dreams-I don't know what my son is saying but he is walking  (all on his own) and talking  in dreams (he is in wheelchair also in real life) I am not sure if son is in diapers or not in dreams --I don't think my dream has allowed me to see this

Hugs and thanks for sharing about your son

Quoting thedathree:

that made me cry. My son is 11 and only sounds he makes is woohhgghh woogghh kindaa like a dog barking it reminds me of but he is just grunting over and over. He does laugh though and sometimes cry and does a pissed off sound like uuugghhhhh when he is mad. However no communication I have to bring the world to him. He likes some stuff but never seeks it out or picks toys up on his own. He sucks on his hands all the time and repeatedly hits musical baby toys. if I didn't switch them up or do other thiings he would just do that. Anyways I had a dream when he was a baby that I woke up and he was walking around and could see (he is blind and walks but just around the living room and with no purpose very unsteady. He wont seek me out or follow my voice). I was talking to my 9 yo about how the only dreams I usually remember are nightmares which I have a lot. She told me that in ALL of her dreams her brother can talk just like she can. But she can't remember what, just that he is doing everything that we do. I didn't think to ask if he was in diapers or could eat like us.

lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yes he trust you and he loves so much and your his mom!!  Hugs!!  

My son uses wheelchair and can use rollaide walker with assistance-me right there by him (yes only at home too-must be the mom thing-lol) and he uses gait trainer at school and home

Quoting thedathree:

oh at the time my son was about 2 1/2 and still could not even sit up on his own. He learned to stand when he was about 5 and then walk a little around 6 or 7. I'm so.lucky he can at all. He needs a special needs stroller for school and community but at least can walk a little for pleasure and to help get from point a to point b at home. I have to guide him by holding him from behind kinda and stearing his body where to turn but he does good doing that. Other people try to walk him somewhere and he doesn't do it with them like he does for me. I don't know why. I guess he must trust me a lot. I will say that to make me feel special.

thedathree
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Quoting lifeisajoy:

My son used a gait trainer for a good 3 or 4 years and is completely blind. I let him go all over our apartment and there is this nice indentation about 10 inches from the floor running all over the walls in the livingroom, hallway and well our other rooms are too small that furniture lines the walls so no marks. My son needs a special needs stroller for school and iif I take him for walks or to the store. Idk if I said that. That's cool your son can roll himself. I wonder if my son will ever say a mama sound? Did your son already do that by 11? I wish my son could convey his thoughts to me. they say that he probably doesn't really form complex thoughts but I dont believe that bc he laughs and crys and gets happy and scared. He has to be thinking something. He likes the bath and the swimming pool a lot. I wish he could tell me when he wanted to do that or somehow sign to me. I guess his brain isn't wired to. The neurologist said its like a computer and if everything isn't plugged in it's not gonna work. Your son seems to be doing so well. I hope my son can be like that some day and say mama or anything to communicate. He does kinda like laughing and smiles and body language but you know what I mean. I'd like him to tell me something he wants or is thinking.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Used to have dreams about "typical" Elijah. We would be doing something totally mundane, like walking down the street or shopping and he would be talking to me like normal. I used to wake up sobbing for the Elijah we lost to his awful seizures! I'm so glad I don't have those any more, its much easier now to just be happy with what we DO have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't had dreams like these. I day dreams about him not having to deal with all of this crap anymore though. I get upset about it from time to time until I think of how far he's come and how much worse it could be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I think every mom wishes her child could be free of dificulties.   But I think the dreams of these children talking and doing ordinary things are maybe a little bit of wishing a child didn't have difficulties, but a lot more about how a child is in a mother's heart.   That deep down, a mother doesn't look at their child as handicapped or 'not normal', but simply, as her child.  

In every post on this thread, not one single mother sounded like she was describing a 'handicapped' child at all.   Instead, you each described what you do for your child.   Not one of you sounded even one single note of self pity.  To tell the truth, you didn't sound like you were describing a child with a serious disability at all, just 'he's mine and these are the things I help him with'.

I met a mother once whose daughter was paralyzed and profoundly mentally disabled.   The mother proceeded to tell me what colors and types of clothing the daughter liked, and how sad she was when her friend moved to a different nursing home. 

Her daughter was supposed to have an IQ tested at under 16.  

But her mother didn't see her that way.   She saw her as a person who had likes, dislikes, friends, favorite things, she saw her as a full person.

So Ithink that maybe those dreams are a little bit about wishes, but mostly about being a good mom.

i.heart.myboys
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Not exactly like that but I do dream of him crawling sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never actually dreamed of Brady doing anything other than the stuff he currently does..weird, but true:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)