Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

"Disabled children are God's punishment to women who have aborted their first pregnancy."

Posted by   + Show Post

How could anyone say this.  I am so angry right now, I am shaking.  Why do people have to be so judgemental?  Seriously, if we have a special needs kid, we had an abortion and God is punishing us?!  How can this ignorance and hatred be out there? 

"An Internet storm is brewing for Virginia delegate, and failed Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bob Marshall who recently claimed that disabled children are God's punishment for having an abortion.

Marshall is vehemently pro-life and claims that evidence proves that nature will take "vengeance" upon any female who has an abortion and then, later in life, attempts to have another child. Many in Marshall's camp say that his words were taken out of context, and a large debate has begun about the intention of his words, or if he even said themat all.

"Disabled children are God's punishment to women who have aborted their first pregnancy."

Marshall has since backed away from that language and now claims:

"I certainly could have used better words to explain the medical research findings which show a high incidence of complications following induced abortions."

At the time of his original remarks WTOP.com reportedMarshall said this:

"The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children."

Marshall went on to elaborate on this and said:

"In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest."

Now, Marshall's wife has come to his defense on his official website to claim that the statements used against her husband are taken out of context, and were construed by a journalism student.

However, timesdispatch.com says that the story originally did start with a journalism student but that the instructor of the course, Jeff South, an associate VCU professor of journalism, stands by his student's original work.

The semantics of the statements aside, in an election year this is the type of attention no candidate wants."

http://www.examiner.com/article/virginia-gop-disabled-children-are-god-s-punishment-for-having-an-abortion

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
willysmama
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM

stupid!! I didn't have an abortion with my first or second or third. I miscarried them. Due to my body not able to produce enough progrestrone to keep them.

lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

The title was enough for me--people are disgusting thinking this way-

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I have never heard this, but I only have one child. He is special needs so what does that make me? Is he my punishment for somekind of bad behavior that I had??

I am appauled right now!!!

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting willysmama:

stupid!! I didn't have an abortion with my first or second or third. I miscarried them. Due to my body not able to produce enough progrestrone to keep them.

Same here. I had 2 before Nathan and 1 after. I never put those 2 things together.

midnightcow49
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

NO, our God is a good God, He does not punish, he rebukes, and all of my children that passed away, was my own body, and decision's from several medical doctor's that advised me that if i did not allow my child (i was 5 month's pregnant), that i could choose to go with her, or live and try to have another child, a i had a bad 18 wheeler accident, had a blood tranfusion, due to loss of blood, and not sure what went wrong, but my blood, became sick, so no god don't punish giving us disabled kids, he allows our children to come to us to teach us and other's about life, and how precious it is, so, the statement is totally wrong, and please rethink the whole subject, my son is the best blessing i could have had and god allowed for me to keep on this earth, he is my true angel from heaven.....

annelauer
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quoting midnightcow49:

NO, our God is a good God, He does not punish, he rebukes, and all of my children that passed away, was my own body, and decision's from several medical doctor's that advised me that if i did not allow my child (i was 5 month's pregnant), that i could choose to go with her, or live and try to have another child, a i had a bad 18 wheeler accident, had a blood tranfusion, due to loss of blood, and not sure what went wrong, but my blood, became sick, so no god don't punish giving us disabled kids, he allows our children to come to us to teach us and other's about life, and how precious it is, so, the statement is totally wrong, and please rethink the whole subject, my son is the best blessing i could have had and god allowed for me to keep on this earth, he is my true angel from heaven.....

I don't believe this.  It is from a speech made by a Republican in Virginia.  I was very upset that anyone could go around saying things like that.

JaniceDixon
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I just have to comment on this. It is outrageous for people to even think this way. I have found that once people find out that my 18 month old daughter has autism they get rude and down right ugly. Ignorance is not a virtue but people should not say anything at all about children. To me thats the same as abuse. I didnt do anything for my daughter to be special needs, but she like all children is a miracle and a gift from god. People who think and feel like this should be quiet and repent from the sheer stupidity of the statement. God tells us not to judge, but that we can be fruit inspectors. However adults who feel the way this lady does should be extremely ashamed of herself. Gee no wonder some kids are so mean this day and age. Don't point fingers at our children. Makes no difference if they are special needs or not they are children and each child deserves all the same as any other child in this cruel world.

annelauer
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Quoting JaniceDixon:

I just have to comment on this. It is outrageous for people to even think this way. I have found that once people find out that my 18 month old daughter has autism they get rude and down right ugly. Ignorance is not a virtue but people should not say anything at all about children. To me thats the same as abuse. I didnt do anything for my daughter to be special needs, but she like all children is a miracle and a gift from god. People who think and feel like this should be quiet and repent from the sheer stupidity of the statement. God tells us not to judge, but that we can be fruit inspectors. However adults who feel the way this lady does should be extremely ashamed of herself. Gee no wonder some kids are so mean this day and age. Don't point fingers at our children. Makes no difference if they are special needs or not they are children and each child deserves all the same as any other child in this cruel world.

It was not a woman who said this, but a male Republican Senate candidate, Bob Marshall.  He is using this logic to promote a pro-life agenda.

annelauer
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Bob Marshall’s Cell (candidate) – 201-259-3756

Address: P.O. Box 422
Manassas, VA 20108

Here are his phone number and mailing address in case you want to tell him yourself what you think.  I am not posting my personal opinion.  As I stated, I am outraged that anyone would go around saying such a thing.  It is not true of me.  And it is certainly not true for many.  And to say that our children are a punishment had me shaken.

JaniceDixon
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Quoting annelauer:

Quoting JaniceDixon:

It was not a woman who said this, but a male Republican Senate candidate, Bob Marshall.  He is using this logic to promote a pro-life agenda.

I do stand corrected. Thanks my mistaken. Then he should be disbarred as candidate. I'm pro life myself but there are some cases that have to be an exception, but those are life and death cases. Geesh its a shame that people can be so cruel to say something like this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)