Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

OT and ST not going well... Heart Broken..

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

It just seems to make my son upset.

He has a very hard time sitting still, etc. Of course, he has ADHD!

But we haven't started meds yet.

My heart breaks thinking how different and seemingly behind on the outside my son is even though ... i don't know why it seems like he's behind because I know he's extremely smart, he just needs to get it out...

I guess I just need advice on getting a positive outlook for my son...

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you're having a rough time! It's hard to see your child struggle... No matter what, it's always going to be hard to see them struggle. You are doing the best you can for him. *HUGS*

sammygrl77
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes it takes a long time to get results. It is very heartbreaking to watch your child struggle. He'll get there ((hugs)).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!  Just be patient....things will get better...give it some time:)

willysmama
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry you are going thru a rough time. I can remember a time when my son was younger that when we did his therapies and the therapist was working with him, he would scream and cry no matter if they touched him or not. My son did learn even though it was slow and still is at times. Its hard to be patient but it will get better.

CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was recently diagnosed with ADHD also and I struggle with making the right choices for him everyday. We started our 2nd medicine trial yesterday. I get discouraged but I know in the end everything will come together! You just have to believe it too. Hugs!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2zachy122
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

OT and ST are usually both much more structured environments than our ADHD kids are used to.  ADHD kids don't WANT to sit still and yet, in order to function especially in the classroom, they have to learn.  They also want to do what they want to do when they want to do it and, at least for my son, he really disliked having to "play" the way someone else told him to play.

It really does get better, but it takes time.....

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mom2zachy122:

OT and ST are usually both much more structured environments than our ADHD kids are used to.  ADHD kids don't WANT to sit still and yet, in order to function especially in the classroom, they have to learn.  They also want to do what they want to do when they want to do it and, at least for my son, he really disliked having to "play" the way someone else told him to play.

It really does get better, but it takes time.....

Thank you to all of you ladies for the encouragement...

This response was especially helpful :) Thank you!

i.heart.myboys
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeAnthonysMom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My son also disliked therapy. He gets PT and OT. Im sure he ll be getting soeech when he s old enough. He didn't like being forced to stretch and especially didn't appreciate that they were strangers. I learned a few of the exercises that they'd work with him on and did them with him too. Not for an hr like therapy but 5 to 10 minutes here and there through out the day. It helped him get used to the idea of " this is what we need to do" and it built his tolerance level. Not only for how much but how long they were able to work with him. Good luck! And best wishes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)