I did post this on the SPD board too, but looking for some input...
This is long, I apologize. DS is 5, and he's seeing a pediatrician tomorrow, but we're wondering if a) he may have Tourette's and b) after talking to someone else, if he may have SPD.
The history: back in March he started this weird throat clearing thing. It was bad, happening many times a minute, we took him to a doctor but she said that he probably just had post nasal drip. After a few months it went away. It came back in mid-July, after about a 2 month break. Similar, but somewhat different (sounds more like a harsh cough/throat clear noise, louder, you can see it here:
Long story short, after almost 3 more months with 3 more trips to the doctor we've tried nasal sprays, allergy meds and puffers and nothing has helped (they thought asthma/allergies). We've also noticed that he sometimes blinks a lot, really fast, especially if he's upset/angry, has a face scrunch thing he does and has recently started a little humming noise at times.
Anyways, looks very likely that he may have Tourette's. In the meantime when I was talking to a woman she picked up on a couple other things I mentioned and asked if he's ever been evaluated for SPD. I found a checklist and the ones he has are:
- doesn't like having hair brushed or washed (trying to wash his hair at best involves covering his face with a towel and him shaking while you do it, at worst he has a crying fit. At one point he went through a 3 month phase where he completely refused to get in the tub).
- wipes off kisses (but will sometimes ask us for kisses)
- HATES bandaids, gets very upset if you have to put one on (cries, fights it), doesn't like anything sticky put on him.
- very ticklish
- socks often bother him, will only wear certain ones
- while he will now brush his teeth it's only been in the last year, before that it was apparently torture
- is sensitive to hot/cold temperatures
- terrified of public toilets, it's very hard to even get him to go
in a public washroom and when he does he won't use the toilet, no matter
how bad he has to go.
- is upset by loud, sudden noises - will cover his ears, cry, or ask
to leave. At the circus they had a trick bike, and it was so sad, he
covered his ears, sat on my lap literally shaking and crying... but
wouldn't leave because he wanted to watch! lol... He also refuses to go
skating because he's afraid that they'll blow the horn - the one they
use when goals are scored in hockey. Our washer & dryer are in our
bathroom, and he will NOT use the bathroom if the dryer is on, it has to
be shut off first.
- Asks other people to be quiet (which is hilarious since he has a loud volume)
- Very picky eater, sensitive to temperature of his food - will not eat any food that is hot/warm, has to be cold or lukewarm, hates trying new foods
- Has issues with swallowing certain meats (beef, pork)
- Scared of dentist
- HATED toothpaste. It's only been the last few months that he's started using it. Would cry and refuse to brush his teeth.
Anyways... I'd like your thoughts. Does this sound like SPD? If it does, where do we go from here? What do we request - for him to see? Any tests to be done? Are there therapy options?
And does it sound like Tourette's? Are there therapies, diets etc... we can try, without having to medicate him?