Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Outside the home that is:)  

I'm just curious how you ladies that do work manage to do it all!  I started working part time back in July, and I only work during his therapy and school hours, but it's just gotten to be so much and so stressful that I'm leaving my job...my last day is next Wednesday.  I'm not very happy having to run around all the time, being stressed all the time, tired all the time, lacking severely in patience with my son and my husband!  It's just hard!  I thought I was ready to go back to work, but I'm obviously not.  Maybe when Brady goes to school fulltime but not yet...

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are:)  Thanks!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
myfirstborn04
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I used yo work and no matter what job I had loved to work. I had complications with my first born sons pregnancy and was put on bedredt but it all got too stressful that I had to quit. then tried to work again after he wad about 4 months but dh could not handle him. then at age 4 we got the autism diagnosis. he was a lot to handle at that time. plus I had two more kids by then. now I have been a sahm since 2004. I'm hoping to go work even part time in the up coming year. my youngest is 2 years and he is being evaluated by early steps at the end of this month. every time I think I can go back to work a crisis keeps me from getting my foot through that door. I love being a sahm but dh is not working and barley makes enough to pay bills. we really could use the extra money! I think all moms do the best they can at balancing a happy family that no matter how they contribute its 100% effort!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Well said mama!

Quoting myfirstborn04:

I used yo work and no matter what job I had loved to work. I had complications with my first born sons pregnancy and was put on bedredt but it all got too stressful that I had to quit. then tried to work again after he wad about 4 months but dh could not handle him. then at age 4 we got the autism diagnosis. he was a lot to handle at that time. plus I had two more kids by then. now I have been a sahm since 2004. I'm hoping to go work even part time in the up coming year. my youngest is 2 years and he is being evaluated by early steps at the end of this month. every time I think I can go back to work a crisis keeps me from getting my foot through that door. I love being a sahm but dh is not working and barley makes enough to pay bills. we really could use the extra money! I think all moms do the best they can at balancing a happy family that no matter how they contribute its 100% effort!

mom2zachy122
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

%Unfortunately, yes.  I work a full-time job and I do homecares on the side every week. I know that some people don't want to be a SAHM.  I always wanted to and feel it's better for my child.  I tried very, very hard to make it work, but once it became clear that Zach wasn't going to be able to adjust to daycare, I knew I would have to be the breadwinner and go back to full-time work b/c my husband just wasn't going to be able to support us on his salary alone.  I am stresed, tired, and overwhelmed most of the time and I feel that it cheats my child of a lot that I think he should have and I want to do for him.  Not material things, but more parenting things.  Like a mom who has the energy to keep up with him, keeps a neat and organized home, is patient and energetic when he is home etc.

So, I'm not happy at all with the situation, but it is what it is and I work extra hard at being patient with him and doing things with him, even if it's "just' playing around the house.  When something needs to give, it's usually the housework or the laundry and then we just somehow catch up later on.  Better messy and in sweats than neglected :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Thanks for sharing mama.  You are doing what is best for your family, and I commend you for that.  I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for in this group.  Hugs!

Quoting mom2zachy122:

%Unfortunately, yes.  I work a full-time job and I do homecares on the side every week. I know that some people don't want to be a SAHM.  I always wanted to and feel it's better for my child.  I tried very, very hard to make it work, but once it became clear that Zach wasn't going to be able to adjust to daycare, I knew I would have to be the breadwinner and go back to full-time work b/c my husband just wasn't going to be able to support us on his salary alone.  I am stresed, tired, and overwhelmed most of the time and I feel that it cheats my child of a lot that I think he should have and I want to do for him.  Not material things, but more parenting things.  Like a mom who has the energy to keep up with him, keeps a neat and organized home, is patient and energetic when he is home etc.

So, I'm not happy at all with the situation, but it is what it is and I work extra hard at being patient with him and doing things with him, even if it's "just' playing around the house.  When something needs to give, it's usually the housework or the laundry and then we just somehow catch up later on.  Better messy and in sweats than neglected :)

myfirstborn04
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
you are doing your best and that's all that matters. your your child's hero! you just keep your faith and take it one day at a time! you are awesome mom, and woman! :)

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM
No, but I am going back to school in january to become a teacher and then will work after that. thsts like 3yrs away though and ty should be at a better place medically by then and in school himself so the schedule works for us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

No. I've discussed getting a job, but have no idea how I can work around the crazy therapy schedule. I'm just constantly on the go.

lifeisajoy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I worked full time outside the home for years-I was the breadwinner-luckily I love my career but far from easy but also luckily my employment flexible for my son has lots and lots of apt and meetings and all that 

Currently I work very part time and absolutely love it though would like a few more hours but my health wise I can't for we are financially struggling-I have come very financially creative though-I always was-never a big spender and now I REALLY am due to again I was the bread winner-my dh works but made 2.5 times an hour less than me and now he is the bread winner

So some days I wish I could go back to work full time but also I am happy to be home with my son--and not juggling on top of what I already juggle a full time work schedule-I look back and really don't know how I did it-I just did-

lifeisajoy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I think we are in the same careers-you sound like I was now I just work very part time due to my own health and I also was the breadwinner and so financially some days I wish I could but everything else I love being home--

You are awesome!! Hang in there!! I remember feeling like that! 

Quoting mom2zachy122:

mom2zachy122
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Thanks for sharing mama.  You are doing what is best for your family, and I commend you for that.  I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for in this group.  Hugs!

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Thanks!  I agree, the ladies in this group are pretty awesome :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)