Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Outside the home that is:)  

I'm just curious how you ladies that do work manage to do it all!  I started working part time back in July, and I only work during his therapy and school hours, but it's just gotten to be so much and so stressful that I'm leaving my job...my last day is next Wednesday.  I'm not very happy having to run around all the time, being stressed all the time, tired all the time, lacking severely in patience with my son and my husband!  It's just hard!  I thought I was ready to go back to work, but I'm obviously not.  Maybe when Brady goes to school fulltime but not yet...

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are:)  Thanks!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I'm a single mom. I was an assistant manager but I was working like 80-90 hours a week. I finally quit back in June and have taken some time. Got my dd diagnosed. I'm going back Monday but its a strict part time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
potpourri0710
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I do several things. I babysit for my husband's cousin, that's my main job. However, it's normally only 3-5, as all three of their children are in school (all day on school holidays), and the kids go with me. So basically I'm a SAHM, though I do waitress two Sunday's a month, from 3-9, and I have my own photography business, so I normally have a couple shoots a month on a Saturday morning. Then I'm also a columnist for our local newspaper, so every Friday I have a column in the paper, but I work on that at home in the evenings. It sounds worse than it is, when you consider that on average, I'm only working 14 hours a week outside of the home, and for 10 of those, the kids are with me, the other 4 hours, their dad is home with them. I put in a few more hours a week in at home during the evenings when the kids are in bed (depending on if I've had photoshoots or not that need editing). And doing this, I'm making more money than I was, when I worked a part-time job, working 24 hours a week out of the home.

babyluv23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

After being a SAHM for 4 years...I WAS READY to go back to work, for my sanity, honestly. I had MAJOR depression, but that all went away, once I started working. I love my job and the people I work with. I need that balance with motherhood, and my own life. It's the only way I can stay SANE, other than being at home ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. There are moments that I wish I can stay home with the 2 kids like I used too, then again, once I go insane and stressed, I am thankful I have my job. I work 30 hrs weekly, luckily my job comes with benefits too. I'm off by 4:30pm M-F weekends off. I'm most happy about my set schedule and my manager is a mom and only 29, so she's very kind when it comes to requesting days off, If needed.

lovetobemomof5
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I worked for many years full time plus a part time job but now that we have 5 kiddos and three have special needs I have been home for the past 6 years. I love being a stay at home mom! There are so many meetings at school, doctor appointments, ect that I can't see being able to hold a full time or part time job down. It hasn't been an easy road but we have been blessed just the same!!

ec19863
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm mommy 5. My 5 yrold is special. I work 4 hrs a day abd 12 hrs wknds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Totally get that mama!  

Quoting doodlelu:

I am a single mom so I have no choice but to work full time. I am a preschool teacher at a Montessori school. I do love working with the children. BUT I would give anything to be a stay at home mom - my boss is understanding -- to a point -- but it would be so much easier to be able to stay home :-) But unless I win the lottery that won't happen!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hugs mama and good luck going back to work...hope it's a smooth transition!

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

I'm a single mom. I was an assistant manager but I was working like 80-90 hours a week. I finally quit back in June and have taken some time. Got my dd diagnosed. I'm going back Monday but its a strict part time

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Wow!  That does sound like a lot mama!  Good for you...hugs!

Quoting potpourri0710:

I do several things. I babysit for my husband's cousin, that's my main job. However, it's normally only 3-5, as all three of their children are in school (all day on school holidays), and the kids go with me. So basically I'm a SAHM, though I do waitress two Sunday's a month, from 3-9, and I have my own photography business, so I normally have a couple shoots a month on a Saturday morning. Then I'm also a columnist for our local newspaper, so every Friday I have a column in the paper, but I work on that at home in the evenings. It sounds worse than it is, when you consider that on average, I'm only working 14 hours a week outside of the home, and for 10 of those, the kids are with me, the other 4 hours, their dad is home with them. I put in a few more hours a week in at home during the evenings when the kids are in bed (depending on if I've had photoshoots or not that need editing). And doing this, I'm making more money than I was, when I worked a part-time job, working 24 hours a week out of the home.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

That's great mama!  What do you do?

Quoting babyluv23:

After being a SAHM for 4 years...I WAS READY to go back to work, for my sanity, honestly. I had MAJOR depression, but that all went away, once I started working. I love my job and the people I work with. I need that balance with motherhood, and my own life. It's the only way I can stay SANE, other than being at home ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. There are moments that I wish I can stay home with the 2 kids like I used too, then again, once I go insane and stressed, I am thankful I have my job. I work 30 hrs weekly, luckily my job comes with benefits too. I'm off by 4:30pm M-F weekends off. I'm most happy about my set schedule and my manager is a mom and only 29, so she's very kind when it comes to requesting days off, If needed.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Totally understand that mama!

Quoting lovetobemomof5:

I worked for many years full time plus a part time job but now that we have 5 kiddos and three have special needs I have been home for the past 6 years. I love being a stay at home mom! There are so many meetings at school, doctor appointments, ect that I can't see being able to hold a full time or part time job down. It hasn't been an easy road but we have been blessed just the same!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)