Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you bring goodies to your child's class on their birthday?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

I asked Brady's teacher if I could bring something next week on his birthday for the kids to have.  I wanted to make sure I bring something that everyone can have...in case of allergies and what not.  Well, she told me that this year a new rule is in place...if you bring food for your child's class, it has to be store bought and you can't make it!  I suppose they have that rule in place so they know all the ingredients in the food?  Not sure as they didn't have this rule last year and I've never heard of it before.  What about you?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammygrl77
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
When Alana was in grade school, they had that rule. Honestly I think it was because you never know what goes on in a kitchen. I used to have a friend that didn't wash her hands after going to tge bathroom. Needless to say, I refused to eat at her house.

The preschool doesn't have that rule, but encourage fruits. So last year we did mini cupcakes and fruit from the store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
In my two oldest kids' Elementsry school, we were allowed to bring homemade cupcakes and I reall enjoyed making them and bringing them and they enjoyed sharing them.

At Alex's elem school, which is a typical elementary school as well, last year they had a strict store-bought only policy because of allergies. This year, they have taken it even further and asked for no baked goods. The are requesting healthier options. Last year, I sent chocolate pudding cups for Alex's class for his birthday, because he loves pudding, and eats no other snacks. I don't know what I'll do this year...
gma12.1
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Around here that rule has been in place for several years. At the beginning of the school year I ask the teacher what her policy is for bdays, & other special occassions but I know that they all have to be store bought. My gs 14 loves to bake and she wanted to make cupcakes for Lina bday and thought that the rule was a stupid one, until I explained it to her.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM
At our sons preschool for his 2nd year. We can't bring in anything on birthday. The teacher will bring in treats for the class if they have a birthday that month.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Oh that stinks mama!  Well, I suppose it's good the teacher does it then:)

Quoting N.Carter2001:

At our sons preschool for his 2nd year. We can't bring in anything on birthday. The teacher will bring in treats for the class if they have a birthday that month.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM
At Liam's school, they do all the birthdays for the month on the last Friday. At Elijah's school I bring treats on his day. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM

That makes perfect sense.  Brady's class has only 4 children so they just let the parents do whatever they want:)

Quoting Elyssa414:

At Liam's school, they do all the birthdays for the month on the last Friday. At Elijah's school I bring treats on his day. :)

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM
4?? That's wonderful! Elijah's class has six, but a capasity of 8 with 3 teachers.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That makes perfect sense.  Brady's class has only 4 children so they just let the parents do whatever they want:)

Quoting Elyssa414:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, his class has 4 children with 2 teachers...they can have up to 5 kids though:)  It's a great program and we love it!

Quoting Elyssa414:

4?? That's wonderful! Elijah's class has six, but a capasity of 8 with 3 teachers.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Elyssa414:

babyluv23
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I haven't thought about doing that..but I want to make goody bags this year for Halloween! Put some halloween stickers, etc...in it. For DS's birthday it's not until december..I want to throw a bday party in his classroom. The school is very strict..no sugar, nothing..healthy foods only, cake isn't even allowed. So I'm not sure what treats to bring for his bday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)