Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Dental Checkup

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

During Brady's 6 month check up at the dentist this past week...

Dental hygienist - "How is Brady doing with the pacifier?"
Translation - "Please tell me he doesn't still use one."

My response - "He's doing just fine with his pacifier actually...thanks for asking!"
Translation - "Yep, he still uses one, and no, I'm not taking it away any time soon."

Dental hygienist - "How old is Brady again?"
Translation - "He sure seems old to have a pacifier."

My response - "He will be 4 years old October 17...we're having a big party for him & can't wait to celebrate!
Translation - "I'm well aware that he 'seems' too old to have one, but that doesn't bother me one bit."

End of conversation:)

*We've taken Brady to the same dentist every 6 months since he was 1 year old. We absolutely LOVE Dr. Huie and his staff! He has NEVER once mentioned anything to me about Brady having a pacifier considering the fact that he knows about his special needs, and he sees no need in bringing that up as he probably knows that he won't win that battle with me. This was the first (and probably last) dental hygienist that will ever mention it to me again. I'm well aware that it's not "good for his teeth" for him to have a pacifier at the age of 4, but that is the least of my worries at this time our lives:) Brady doesn't get his blanket or pacifier during therapy sessions nor does he get it during school, but if we want to give it to him during other times, that is our choice. He needs a comfort item, something to make him feel safe, something to keep him calm so we can administer g-tube feeds and medicines. He also gets it during his VEST treatments. We do limit his time with it otherwise though. Yes, he's 4 years old, but he has the brain of a 10-12 month old, and that's something people tend to forget at times...we don't forget it though:)

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

thats right its a comfort item , and it is needed , i let my son use his till he was 6ish

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Forget what she said. You do whats right for your child. If it calms him then thats all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coleysmama
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My 4 yr old son still drinks from a bottle a 3 times a day. As soon as he wakes up he gets a bottle with about 3 ounces of juice and his medicine. If it's a school day he gets a couple of ounces as soon as he gets in his carseat w/ miralax and at night he gets another one to take his medicine w/ some juice. If we have a stressful situation to deal with that day He'll get one then also.

Its soothing and helps get his meds in him. Physically he's 4 but mentally he's about 1 or 2(on a vert good day.)

lifeisajoy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Darby,

some people just don't get it--like when we were potty training my son-we gave him one or two gummies every time he went-IT WORKED for him-some school psychologist told me his teeth would rot out-give me a break lady!! It WORKS for my son and I am using it!! Though I was nice like you explaining it Darby

The Pacifier WORKS-comforting to Brady-darn right I would use it too!!!

Just like we went to the dentist on Friday and it is a 2 hour trip from our house and we waited and waited and finally I said screw it I am giving him his peanut butter and cheddar cheese crackers and don't know it as soon as I gave him he got called back to the dentist-my son had peanut butter all over his teeth-LOL!

The dental hygeniest was like I see peanut butter on him-I said yep he can only wait so long!  she did not say anything else!

My motto is --use what works!!  

take care Darby 

sammygrl77
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Christopher's dentist gave me a lecture about him needing Pediasure to sleep at night. Along with onforming me that she had a hard time weaning her son from breastfeeding. Like the two are comparable? Many just don't get the difference between a nt child and a special needs child that needs certain comfort items longer than nt children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Perfect responses! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)