Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Autisitic children and hitting

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 3 year old autisic son is hitting at home and at home.His dad and I have both have been telling him no hitting and it just doesnt seem to be working. I dont think he knows what time-out is and so I havent been putting him on time-out. I just tell him we dont hit. So I needs tips on how to tell him in a way he knows not to hit.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I would try time outs and see if they will work for him. For my son being sent to his room is much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM

We had a lot of issues with hitting with my son too. We would always hold his arms, get down to his eye level, and calmly but firmly tell him no hitting and then make him sit down for a while. If it got really bad (which it sometimes did), he was removed from the room.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome mama!  My son is 4 years old and Autistic as well.  He used to have a problem with hitting and occasionally does.  Although he only hit me...no one else.  What I would (suggested by his ABA therapist) is to hold his arms so that he cannot physically hit me, while looking away and giving him NO attention whatsoever until he stops trying to hit me...once he stops, then I give him attention and we go about our day.  The key is to NOT attend to the negative behavior as my son (for example) got worse when I attended to that behavior.  He learned (finally) that hitting got him NO attention, but that if he didn't hit, he got attention.  Reinforcing the positive and ignoring the negative:)  Good luck!

Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This will be hard - he mostlikely hits out of frustration and not able to communicate.  So, when he hits...figure out what is he tryign to "say"?  Then give him the appropriate thing to do.  But "show" him, dont just tell him.  

We use sign language - stop is our popular one.  We just make our own signs, and that way, he is able get a visual cue as well as verbal.  :)   

CameronsMommy23
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM
All the above suggestions are a great place to start. Let us know what helps. Hugs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DJMOMMY926
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

My son has DS and he hits as well. But not in frustration, he hits when he is excited or happy to see someone. His OT told me that since he is not able to communicate with us that he is happy to see us or that he is excited thats y he hits. I will also try some of the suggestions from above because just telling him not to hit isn't working. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

When my son hit me, i would take his hand, stroke my face and say.. Nice to mommy, love mommy... No hit...gentle, nice in a soothing voice... He was a hitter at 2... it worked for us... Good luck. 

I would also try to find out why there was hitting... Are you mad? And try to get him to explore feelings and emotions so he could learn what they were... 

MommyIn2008
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM
With my 4 year old when he hits or has a meltdown we take him to his safe place and have him be a S.T.A.R. (stop take a deep breath and relax) the fact that he's in a special needs pre k its helped alot with his violent outbursts and has stopped hitting his friends about 70%.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN